Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Iya Valley from Matsuyama 2015/1/28 21:02
I would like to visit the Iya Valley but wonder if I can fit it into my timeframe and so seek guidance from the kind folk here.

I will probably come from Matsuyama. It looks like to reach Awa-Ikeda by train requires a change at Tadotsu and takes about three hours. Is there a bus from Matsuyama that's more direct ?

There is the Bonnet Bus , which seems to me to be the easiest way to see the main sites without a car. Are there other options? Does one need to book the Bonnet bus? I would just like to see the rope bridges and maybe the river trip.

It seems a bit daunting to find affordable and accessible accommodation so I wondered if it can be done as a day trip and from which base.

Onegaishimasu
by rockinryoko (guest)  

Re: Iya Valley from Matsuyama 2015/1/29 00:53

I would just like to see the rope bridge and maybe the river trip.

You can take train to Oboke station. The Oboke gorge boat terminal is about 10 minutes walk from the station. After the boat ride you can take bus from there directly to Kazurabashi (the rope bridge).
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7826.html
If you have very limited time, do not bother about the boat ride. We did it last November; the ride was not that interesting.
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iya Valley from Matsuyama 2015/1/29 02:32
Have you considered hiring a car? Although you *can* do some of the sights in the Iya area by public transport, having a car will make an enormous difference.

I hired a car in Matsuyama and drove to the Iya Valley. It's a pleasant drive and hiring a car in Japan isn't hugely expensive.

I really recommend it!
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iya Valley from Matsuyama 2015/1/29 06:50
I did the Bonnet Bus day trip a couple of years ago....it was fun except it rained and we couldn't do the boat trip. Also no English was spoken but I had researched the stops so pretty much knew what was going on. I did it as a day trip from Kochi - I had the All Shikoku Rail Pass....a terrific bargain if you are doing a lot of traveling on trains - it also covers some local trams and buses....
Enjoy!
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Iya Valley from Matsuyama 2015/1/29 19:50
Thanks for helpful advice and suggestions. A little nervous to hire a car as I'll be by myself but I'll look into it. If I can drop off in a different place it would work well with my plans I think
by Rockinryoko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iya Valley from Matsuyama 2015/1/30 00:42
Yep, absolutely you can pick up and drop off in different places. I picked up my car in Matsuyama and dropped it off in Takamatsu before heading on to Naoshima.

I used Toyota Rentacar:
https://rent.toyota.co.jp/shop/detail.aspx?rCode=67301&eCode=001&udFlg...

This thread may also be of interest:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298228-i8059-k6493034-Hiring_a...
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iya Valley from Matsuyama 2015/1/30 07:11
You can drop off at a different point but it will cost a lot more.
by stuck (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iya Valley from Matsuyama 2015/4/12 09:52
Thought I would update this with the outcome. I ended up not hiring a car and I'm glad I did, those roads looked a bit intimidating to me, though I think most cars use different roads to the ones the buses do.

I caught the Superjet ferry from Hiroshima and spent one night in Matsuyama. This was enough time to visit Dogo Onsen and surrounding area in the afternoon and Matsuyama castle next morning. I was raining that day so it did limit what I wanted to do, but it looked a place I could have spent more time in. The castle was great, amazing view even in the rain and lots to see inside.

I caught a Shiokaze train to Tadotsu and a Nampu to Oboke station. I had booked Obokekyo Mannaka hotel through Booking.com and they picked me up from the station.

This turned out to be a good choice as not only was it a very nice place to stay, but was right opposite the riverboat landing and the bus stop.

In the morning I did the riverboat trip which was great because there were hundreds of koi nobody kites flying for boys day. The. I caught a bus to Kazurabashi vine bridge. I thought it was worth paying to cross. Only trouble was two tour groups doing the same thing. I had an hour to wait for the bus back and of course could have done the bridge crossing by myself during that time. There is a nice cafe to wait in, with free wifi.

I could have caught the other bus to Iya Onsen or Manneken Pis etc but buses are only every 90 minutes or so. Seemed a bit rushed if you only have the day.
by rockinryoko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread