Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need your advices for Kanazawa/Takayama 2015/1/30 17:28
Dear folks,

Currently, in my 15-day plan in Japan, I am going to spend almost 3 days in Kanazawa, Takayama, and Shirakawa-go:

Day 1: Tokyo to Takayama. It takes almost 4.5 hours by train, so I have only a half day in Takayama.

Day 2: Takayama to Shirakawa-go. In the late afternoon, go to Kanazawa by bus.

Day 3: A full day in Kanazawa.

Day 4: Leave Kanazawa to Osaka (spend only one night in Osaka)

After checking some comments, I feel that 1 day in Kanazawa is too short, and Takayama could be ignored (I knew there were some arguments...).

When Hokuriku Shinkansen Extension is available, Kanazawa is definitely reachable in really shorter time.

My questions:
1. Should I reserve 2 full days in Kanazawa and ignore Takayama?

Thanks in advance.
by lnkhang  

Re: Need your advices for Kanazawa/Takayama 2015/1/30 21:14
It is so subjective. It depends on time, personal preferences, and your decisions after reading up on the various places, and what may interest you.
There are significantly eminent contributors to this forum who recommend Takayama.
We on the other hand prefer Kanazawa, and always recommend minimum 2 nights /2 days there.
Best things in Kanazawa: Kenrokuen with Seisonkaku Villa a must; 21st Centurary Museum; Samurai area; Geisha area; Gold foil craft shop; Kutani ceramics; shopping in the station; FOOD........
The best part of going to Takayama is the wonderful scenery from there to Nagoya.
Will you have a JR Pass? As you say the new Shinkansen will be a wonderful addition for tourists.
It would be possible to go from Tokyo to Kanazawa early, to give you almost a full day there, and then another day after that.
Then you could consider the bus from Kanazawa to Shirakawago, and on to Takayama that day, for one night. This would allow you to spend a good morning in Takayama ,morning markets: (they are OK) historic preserved houses area and a Sake brewery, then take the Wide View Hida to Nagoya, and a Shikansen from Nagoya to Osaka: thats only a 40 minute ride.
Just some thoughts.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Need your advices for Kanazawa/Takayama 2015/1/31 04:54
I didnt mind Kanazawa and I really like Takayama. They are completely different styles of places - Takayama is more country, Kanazawa is a little city.Kanazawa can be very rainy which impacts on getting around, but overall it is very nice and the people there seem to be quite friendly. Personally I thought Kanazawa is a bit plain if you are visiting Kyoto in the same trip, essentially more of the same but on a less grand scale. I'd go back to Kanazawa, but not in the same trip that I was visiting Kyoto.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need your advices for Kanazawa/Takayama 2015/1/31 16:07
Thanks a lot, AusTF and Lazy Pious!

@Lazy Pious: I have seen your older comments in the forum. You are a great fan of Takayama :). I guess you really had great time there.

@AusTF: Yes, I will have a JR pass.

Actually, I like AusTF's suggestion. I will go to Kanazawa for 2 full days, then go to Shirakawago on the next day, finally reach Osaka at the night. I will leave Takayama in the next trip.

It takes around 4.5 hours from Takayama to Osaka through Wide View Hida and Shinkansen Hirari, which I think it is too long for the morning. That's why I leave Takayama to the next trip.

Thanks again!
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

reply to this thread