Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/2 02:11
Hi, I am planning to use my kanto pass to reach kawazu cherry blossom festival via odoriko express train. Have seen reviews about the tickets being sold out quickly so one needs to make reservation months before. Question is: I will only be arriving in Japan only a few days before I buy my tickets... will I be in time to buy tickets to kawazu?

When will the this year's cherry blossom festival be held? Any idea if there are food and souvenir stalls at minami cherry blossom festival too?
by lynn (guest)  

Re: Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/2 11:16
Lynn - if you catch an early Shinkansen to Atami (meaning getting there before 9AM) then you will be able to catch a local train to Kawazu or Shimoda. It's more expensive - but should allow you to get there without the Odoriko crowds....

Note - there are food and some other stores at Minami Izu but not as many as Kawazu. It's also possible to do both on the same day if you don't mind a long day....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/2 13:32
Thanks mfedley! You really are an expert!

Any must do places in your opinion? how long do you think it will take to do both kawazu and minami? I'm travelling with my parents so they would love the carnival atmosphere/"street food" whilst sightseeing!
by Lynn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/2 15:07
Sorry to be tapping onto this thread but I'll be travelling to Shimoda on 31 March 2015. My intention is to buy the tickets for Super View Odoriko on the day of departure. Is it possible or will it be a case of trying my luck for non-reserved seats? If that is the case, is it possible to pre-book the tickets online?

Thanks in advance.
by Suanz rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/2 15:21
Lynn - the Kawazu festival is basically opposite the train station which you will pass as you go to Shimoda.

I'd say you need probably 3-4 hours at Minami Izu (with buses) and you can spend anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours at Kawazu. Do note that Kawazu is better to go later in the day when the crowds start to thin out (such as late afternoon and have an early dinner there).

Also Lynn - it might be possible to get an Odoriko ticket to Ito and then catch a local train down to Shimoda as these trains should not have the large crowds as the other trains will.

In relation to buying an Odoriko ticket - I almost never buy them in advance apart from special events (such as Obon or Golden Week).... As such - you should be fine getting a ticket on the day.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/2 15:23
Many thanks!!
by Suanz rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/2 23:35
LtdExp Odoriko are 4 types exist.

1) Super View Odoriko[スーパービュー踊り子] : no un-reserved car with special seats for viewing
2) [regular(non titled)] Odoriko[踊り子] : un-reserved cars with but no special seats for viewing

3) Resort Odoriko[リゾート踊り子] : no un-reserved car special seat for viewing with
4) Marine express Odoriko[マリンエクスプレス踊り子] : no un-reserved car but no special seats for viewing

1)2) are regular operate daily.
3)4) are seasonal weekend/national holiday and for some big events week only.

Use Hyperdia again. (late MAR timetable update yet)
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
by HiC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/3 00:30
Thanks all! sorry to bug you guys another question...the train system is rather confusing to me.

(1) It seems like the earliest superview Odoriko train departs from Tokyo/Shinjuku at 9am, arriving directly to kawazu at 12pm. The earliest odoriko train is the normal one, that reaches Kawazu at 11 but requires two transfers. Which is a better option? I read all reviews on the superview train for some reason..

(2) The last Odoriko train departs Kawazu rather early at 4pm? Will I be able to take the local line with my kanto pass?

(3) Am I right that I can't travel on shinkansen kodama (tokaido) with my kanto pass?

A million thanks! Appreciate your help & time!
by lynn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/3 03:35
Which date? Which station from???

1)2)
Click "Interval timetable" of Hyperdia result.

3)
Tokaido Shinkansen "Hikari" operated by JR "Tokai(Central)".
Just NOT JR "East" train and runs different track.
Pass NO covered Tokaido Shinkansen part. (very simple reason)

Tokaido main line until Atami from Tokyo is JR East rail/track.
Tokaido main line is NOT Shinkansen(high-speed) rail/track.
All LtdExp Odoriko are NOT Shinkansen train.
by HiC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Odoriko tickets 2015/2/3 16:21
Thanks HiC. So the kanto pass does not cover any shinkansen to Izu or Kawazu?

Im travelling on 18th Feb as a day trip to Kawazu/Minami..

So sorry for taking up your time!
by lynn (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread