Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Late arrival into Haneda airport 2015/2/2 22:58
Hello Everybody,

I'm in the middle of planning a 10 day trip to Japan, and I am flying from the UK to Haneda airport, arriving at 16:00hrs local time. I need some advice for where to stay the first night.

We are saving Tokyo for the end of our trip, and so do not want to stay there on our first night. I had hoped to be able to stay in a ryokan near Hakone, which appears to be only 1hr away by car, or 1h30min by public transport, depending where you go. But nowhere seems to serve dinner later than 6pm - it would be a struggle to get there on time.

Does anyone know of any ryokans that serve food later than this? Or any other options in the Hakone area, or nearby? I really don't want my first night in Japan to be in an airport hotel!

Thanks for helping!

ST

by anonecon (guest)  

Re: Late arrival into Haneda airport 2015/2/3 12:23
It will be quite tight schedule.
Arrive Haneda(16:00), leave Haneda(17:00),
here is two transfers I can consider,
1): Go to Yokohama station(via Keikyu-Kamata sta) by Keikyu line, transfer to Tokaido line in Yokohama for Odawara sta, then transfer to Hakone-Tozan railway for Hakone-Yumoto sta. This transfer takes 105-120 mins.

2): Go to Shinjuku sta(via Shinagawa by Keikyu and Yamanote lines) then transfer to Odayu Romance car for Hakone-Yumoto sta. This transfer takes approx 120 mins.

You can find Ryokans where they don't serve dinner and breakfast(Bed and bath service only). It's called "Sudomari" in Japanese.

If you stay in Ryokan, I recommend you to inform the ryokan that your arrival will be late. Let them know the approx time you will arrive there in advance.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Late arrival into Haneda airport 2015/2/3 22:21
If you are considering Hakone, you can make a booking through booking.com, then within booking.com at managing your reservation, you can request a late checkin and meal to be service late, through their messaging service, you will get a reply from the hotel or ryokan, I've booked takaragawa onsen and my meal has been pushed back to 2000 to 2030.

So it is possible to have the meal service late.

In case it's not possible, you can just cancel the booking and try another hotel.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Late arrival into Haneda airport 2015/2/3 22:37
I really don't want my first night in Japan to be in an airport hotel!

I take it this is your first trip? If you are a typical human, you will at least be very tired on arrival, and possibly suffer a lot from jetlag. Booking a fancy ryokan will be throwing away money, you will not be able to enjoy it and will just want to go to sleep.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Late arrival into Haneda airport 2015/2/4 11:14
We are saving Tokyo for the end of our trip, and so do not want to stay there on our first night.

Frankly it's probably best to just book a hotel somewhere around Tokyo or Shinagawa Station. You're not going to have much time to do anything outside of exploring the restaurants around your hotel anyway, and then you're set up nicely to move on to your next destination the following morning. Tokyo is huge with multiple major city centers, staying somewhere in the city the first night won't take anything away from your visit later on.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread