Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Clockwise Loop and lunch place 2015/2/3 07:40
Just trying to get my head around the Hakone Round Course as a day trip from Shinagawa, via Odawara.
We will have JR Passes, and purchase the Hakone Free Pass from Odawara. We plan to go on a Monday or Tuesday in April, leaving Shinagawa at 9.04am Arriving Odawara 9.31am (should we go earlier....???)
I read in another thread that it may be better to consider doing to the course clockwise to maximise potential Fujisan views, (usually better in the mornings....???)and have less crowds at the Open Air Museum.(that would be a good thing)
So: if we went
Odawara to Hakone Yumoto by Tozan railway;
Hakone Yumoto to Moto Hakone by Bus Line K;
Hakone Shrine, then walk to Hakone Machi;
Boat from Hakone Machi to Togendai, and continue along course to the Open Air Museum;
Tozan railway back to Odawara;

1. Where exactly are the Mt Fuji views mazimized?
2. Where would you stop for a lunch break? Gora? We wonft want much.....so something simple is fine...food stand etc...suggestions??
If we went in the conventional counter-clockwise direction we had thought of lunch when we arrived eventually in Moto Hakone.....
3. Where would we get the best weather predicition the night before so as best to decide which day..we donft tend to watch TV when in Japan...

Thank you!
by AusTF  

Food 2015/2/3 11:30
I recall that there is a food kiosk at Gora station that sells (cold) katsu sandwhiches and some simple bentos (i think?). I didn't see other eateries in the immediate vicinity.

There is more food at Moto-Hakone. I had lunch at one of the restaurants serving udon/soba there. Otherwise, there is also food at the ferry terminal at Togendai.

by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Clockwise Loop and lunch place 2015/2/3 13:15
Thank you!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Clockwise Loop and lunch place 2015/2/3 20:02
You can see from Hakone-Machi live webcam over Ashinoko lake here: http://www.hakone.or.jp/web-camera/
But old Java 7 version is required.
Besides the weather changes so quickly that by the time you get there, Mt. Fuji may have cloud cover. Also April is not a good month to view as morning mist sets in. But you may get lucky.
Are you staying overnight in Hakone? If so, use Odakyu Kyuko Ltd Exp. or Romance Car to get to Yumoto and activate JR Pass from Odawara onward to Kyoto/Osaka, etc. If not, never mind.
Go first to Open Air Museum for less crowds. Show the Hakone Free Pass for discount(ask as it is not posted anywhere).
The best view of Mt. Fuji is from Onshi Park hill top between Moto-Hakone & Hakone-Machi ports or from Owakudani rope way station. Moto Hakone port has a fast food soba/udon kiosk and a regular restaurant upstairs. Owakudani station has a regular restaurant on top. You can wonder around in pther places.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Clockwise Loop and lunch place 2015/2/4 05:29
amazinga thank you: thats excellent info:
OK we will do the course as per the usual Counter clockwise route, and take our chances.
No we arenft staying in Hakone, just doing a day trip, but not if its forecast, or actually, raining.....we will take our chances on Mt Fuji otherwise, as the sculptures are also a huge part of our interest.
We have had great views of Mt Fuji from the Shinkansen on occasions, so we have been lucky in the past.
Thanks for the lunch suggestions!
And thank you for the great info, once again.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

reply to this thread