Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass to Hakodate 2015/2/5 02:26
Hi friends,
I plan travelling to japan for the second time at late june 2015. This time I plan going to Hokaido for about a week and around Tokyo for a week too.
If I buy JR Pass, and arrive at Tokyo on 30 June, then I activate JR pass, do you think I can book JR Train for reserved seat, for 1 July departure from Tokyo to Hadodate (Shinkansen Hayabusa and Hakucho) Is there a chance to get the reserve seat ticket or not ?
Thank you for any help
by jimny (guest)  

Re: JR Pass to Hakodate 2015/2/5 08:16
do you think I can book JR Train for reserved seat, for 1 July departure from Tokyo to Hadodate (Shinkansen Hayabusa and Hakucho)

Hayabusa trains in the morning tend to be busy and may sell out. Later in the day, they tend to be less busy. It is difficult to predict if some Hayabusa will be booked out or not, and if yes, which ones. Hayabusa trains are all-reserved, so there is no choice of traveling without prior reservation. I think the risk will be low that all the favorable Hayabusa train connections will be booked out.

Even if they were all sold out, you would have the alternative to use a slower Yamabiko train between Tokyo and Sendai or Morioka and then transfer to a Hayabusa at Sendai or Morioka (the Hayabusa is less likely to be booked out north of Sendai).

Also, the JR website allows for online reservations of the Hayabusa, but it comes with some restrictions that I am not fully familiar (especially a deadline by when reserved tickets have to be picked up). In addition, I think the system will change slightly in the next few months (actually making it easier to use). So, that would definitely be worth exploring:
http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/com...

The Hakucho beyond Aomori has unreserved seats, so even it the (I think not so likely) case that the trains will be booked out, you could always travel in the unreserved train. Online reservation for the Hakucho is not possible.

Is there a chance to get the reserve seat ticket or not ?

Yes, you have a chance.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass to Hakodate 2015/2/5 09:11
especially a deadline by when reserved tickets have to be picked up

Currently, 9pm the day before departure, so it would work out for OP unless he arrives very late.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass to Hakodate 2015/2/5 10:49
Thank you friend Uni and Firas :
If I haven't activated my JR pass (because it should be done in Japan) can I make reservations online through website before I arrive in Japan (assume I already bought JR pass). Thank you so much
by Jimny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass to Hakodate 2015/2/8 02:09
Sory for typo
Thank you friend Uji and Firas :
If I haven't activated my JR pass (because it should be done in Japan) can I make reservations online through website before I arrive in Japan (assume I already bought JR pass). Thank you so much
by jimny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass to Hakodate 2015/2/8 03:26
Yes, you can, the website is here:

http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/com...

The process is essentially the same whether you will have a JR Pass or not, but if you show your pass when you go pick up the ticket, you will not be charged.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass to Hakodate 2015/2/8 22:18
I have travelled Three times from Tokyo to Sapporo using JR seven day pass. Hakodate is a small town and have many small eateries selling sashimi not to be miss. To answer your question form Narita to Tokyo Station Takes 30 mins. JR pass office opens at 8am. Joint the queue before the office opens and be the first in line. Book all your reserved Tickets at the counter. That is Narita station to Tokyo station and Tokyo station to Hakodate. Quickly look for the Shinkensan Station which is within the Tokyo Station. Please Buy some food and Drink. Shinkensan only goes to Aomori and quickly change to the slower train.Shinkensan takes about two and a half hours but the next train takes about four to five hours to Hakodate. I did not ever had any problems getting a reserved seat.
by Saji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass to Hakodate 2015/2/9 01:31
Thank you Firas and also Saji,for you explanation.
I think I will take the next morning to Hakodate, so It'll be no hurry for me, I'll stay the first night in Tokyo first.
Thanks again.
Cheers.
by jimny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass to Hakodate 2015/2/9 12:05
Those times given by Saji seem a little off. It's more like an hour from Narita to Tokyo. And the limited express from Aomori to Hakodate takes just over two hours, not "four to five hours."
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

reply to this thread