Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7 day itinerary in cherry blossom season 2015/2/6 04:08
Hello, I am in the initial stage of making plans for a 8 nights/7.5 days trip in Japan (first time visit). I have been reading the Japan guide website (still lot more to read). One of my goal is to see cherry blossoms in its full glory. My current tentative plan is as follows:

29Mar: Arrive in Hiroshima at 8pm (already booked tickets)

30Mar: Hiroshima/Miyajima. (Spend night in Osaka or Hiroshima?)

31Mar: Entire day in Osaka. (Spend night in Osaka)

1st: Entire day in Kyoto. Spend night in Kyoto.

2nd: Nara (Spend night in Osaka)

3rd: Yoshino and travel to (Hakone?)

4th: Mt Fuji. Travel to Tokyo.

5th: Tokyo

6th: Half day in Tokyo. Flyout from NRT (5pm) (already booked tickets)

Please suggest/comment.

My general travel philosophy is: I don't intend to see everything in a city/area in my first visit so that I can come back and see what is left.

Few questions:

1. I want to stay in a traditional Japanese house surrounded by beautiful Japanese Gardens (perhaps with a mountain view) for one night. Any suggestion for this in the itinerary? Is Hakone good for this?

(FYI: I am pretty used to hectic travels and will be travelling solo and light)
by Deepfalc (guest)  

Re: 7 day itinerary in cherry blossom season 2015/2/6 10:19
Kyoto
Miyajima
Hakone

Many places has such a hotel but you have to pay for the upgrade

I think you should spend the night in Osaka. Osaka is all about the night life. Well there is some day stuff. note SOME

You got some chance to see sakura. But weather is hard to predict, especially recently. If you plan to see the sakura in Kyoto, it might be better to do a Hiroshima - Kyoto round trip
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day itinerary in cherry blossom season 2015/2/6 10:27
Kyoto, Nara, Yoshino are all day trips from Osaka.
Move to Osaka on your Hiroshima/Miyajima day, and consider one of the Passes, or just buy an iCOCA prepaid card.
You will need to research ryokans in Hakone for your choice.
Also, its getting a bit late for bookings at this busy time of year: Sakura season is very heavily booked already.
Good luck and enjoy!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day itinerary in cherry blossom season 2015/2/6 20:25
Thank you all for the replies.
by Deepfalc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day itinerary in cherry blossom season 2015/2/6 20:51
Last year we stayed at the Granvia hotel which is right above Osaka JR and subway stn in Umeda. Super efficient, could get from our room to platform in 5 mins. Used that as base for sakura viewing in Osaka, Kyoto (train 40 mins) and Yoshino (day trip no problem). Also, don't have to change hotel every night and waste time checking in & out.
Went at peak sakura season, Kyoto= very nice, Yoshino= different (and Tokyo= fantastic). Sakura in Osaka so so in comparison. Yoshino typically blooms later than in the Cities, last year we waited til April 11 to go and only the lower & mid-mountain in full bloom.
We went to Amanohashidate from Osaka and had a really nice day out but not for sakura.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day itinerary in cherry blossom season 2015/2/7 07:11
If its within your budget I also concur re The Osaka Granvia Hotel in Umeda station: it makes life SO easy for travelling: it is definitely our preferred hotel for convenience.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day itinerary in cherry blossom season 2015/2/7 08:43
Thanks I was able to book Osaka Granvia Hotel but only for one night. I realized it is very late and all the good hotels are gone.
Anyway thanks.

Could any of you recommend a place to stay in Tokyo in Saturday night which possibly be close to best Sakura viewing places?
by Deepfalc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day itinerary in cherry blossom season 2015/2/7 16:24
Hotel Monterey Hanzomon.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread