Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Glasses and contact len in open-air baths 2015/2/6 20:26
I am planning to visit the open-air baths at Musouen onsen, Yufuin, and Takaragawa onsen, Minakami, this year. I was wondering if I could wear eye glasses or contact lens in the baths, as I would not be able to see the surrounding beautiful landscape without wearing either.

It would be nice to hear people's experiences and advice on this issue.
by Wayy  

Re: Glasses and contact len in open-air baths 2015/2/6 20:38
Glasses are no problem, although they tend to fog up. Not sure about contacts though, but they should be fine as water isn't going to be splashing into your eyes.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Glasses and contact len in open-air baths 2015/2/6 21:29
Through a quick internet search, I found a contact lense retailer that does recommend you to use glasses instead of contact lenses when bathing in an onsen.

Apart from problems that can happen in an ordinary bath, the website says that due to the special substances that are contained in onsen, there is a risk of damaging the lense itself, and when that happens it may lead to the damage of your eyes.

Other risks are loosing them in the water, causing a sort of a "dry-eye" situation, and shampoo or soap getting in your eyes. But basically it is not prohibited to wear contact lenses in onsen.

http://コンタクトレンズ価格.net/1day-121.html
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Glasses and contact len in open-air baths 2015/2/7 00:04
I had my glasses when I went to an Onsen in Kinosakai no problem. Not sure about contacts but probably not recommended as the waters have natural mineral's and stuff.

Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Glasses and contact len in open-air baths 2015/2/7 01:42
Many thanks to you all for the advice. I will take them all onboard.

I now feel reassured that I can enjoy the full experience of being at an open onsen.

by Wayy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread