Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

IC Card refundable deposit and balance 2015/2/7 18:11
We travel from Tokio Haneda to Fukuoka with several side trips.

I think the IC Card like SUICA would be the best for us.

Where and how do we get back the refund and remaining balance?
by Lee Ernst  

Re: IC Card refundable deposit and balance 2015/2/8 08:59
I think the IC Card like SUICA would be the best for us.

The Suica card will be useful for urban transportation in some of the major cities along the way, but for long-distance between the cities it cannot be used.

Where and how do we get back the refund and remaining balance?

Suica cards can be refunded at JR ticket counters in the JR East service area (which includes Kanto Region, Tohoku Region and some parts of Nagano, Yamanashi, Niigata and Shizuoka).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: IC Card refundable deposit and balance 2015/2/8 09:05
If you finish in Fukuoka you will not be able to obtain a refund. So be prepared to sacrifice the 500Yen and remaining balance.
If you are returning to the JR East area, then all the places Uji mentioned are able to refund for you.

One thing we do is run the balance right down, but keep the card going, and give it to others who travel to Japan...they then top it up etc and we just work out the values at some stage...its never a great amount, only a few $: usually not worth worrying about.
And as they are valid for 10 years, ours have been going for at least 4 years now.
We actually do this with the Washington DC cards, and our MYKI cards here in Melbourne as well!!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: IC Card refundable deposit and balance 2015/2/8 21:08
I actually have two NEX suica card, about 4 years and the other is about 2 years, since I will visit japan in June I will reuse them again and thats another 10 years each.

I'm sure you may visit japan in the near future, so just keep them to use next time or have them as souvenirs, it's only a 500 yen deposit that you lose, and the remaining balance you can try to use them up from vending machines, that's how I used it.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread