Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trains - how do I get best value tickets 2015/2/7 20:35
hi there,

I was hoping someone could please share their wisdom with regard to how to best buy rail passes / tickets while my son and I visit Japan this July.

We want to make sure the passes we get will be utilised well and therefore good value. Our itinerary is fairly solid with much of the accommodation already booked, but I have yet to figure out travel with regard to JR trains and prive company trains etc.

It looks like the 21 day bullet train pass will probably be the way to go? thoughts? With possibly some other passes as well?

Itinerary is as follows:
2x = 2nights

2xTOKYO
2xYUDANAKA (ONSEN- SNOW MONKEYS)
1xTAKAYAMA
1xSHIRAKAWAGO (GASSHO STAY)
KANAZAWA
3xKYOTO
NARA
SHIGA
4xOSAKA
1xMT KOYA (TEMPLE STAY)
2xBIKE RIDE(SHIMANAMI KAIDO)
2xNAGOYA (SUMO TOURNAMENT)
2xMT FUJI(CLIMB TO SUMMIT)
5xTOKYO

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

by AussieRonnie  

Re: Trains - how do I get best value tickets 2015/2/8 12:23
You could probably get away using a 14 day pass as you have times at the start and end in Tokyo.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Trains - how do I get best value tickets 2015/2/8 13:35
I am not sure of this, but here goes.

Get an IC card and possibly a NEX Ticket for the first day or two (You didn't specify where you were going to fly into).

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Take a bus from Tokyo to Nagoya, and then the private train to Yudanaka Onsen.

Take the private train back to Nagoya, ride the JR Shinonoi Line to Matsumoto, and then catch a bus to Takayama.

Use a Takayama-Hukuriku Area Tourist Pass for the next several days, ending in Kyoto.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_takayama_hokuriku.html

Use the IC card to get to Nara, and to get around Osaka. You will probably use a world heritage ticket to get to Mount Koya.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_012.html

The cycling, Nagoya, and getting back to Tokyo is probably a JR 7 day pass. Look into whatever flavor of Fuji pass that is best for you, there are many. I'll just give you a link:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

This is a piecemeal set of tickets that involves rail and bus. You will need to figure out what's best for you. The one thing I need to make sure you know is that private trains, such as the one from Nagano to Yudanaka, Osaka to Mount Koya, and some of the route from Tokyo to Mount Fuji will not be covered by the JR Pass. In addition, bus lines from Takayama to Shirakawa-Go, then to Kanazawa, and along with busses around Kyoto will also not be covered.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Trains - how do I get best value tickets 2015/2/8 14:48
The N'Ex ticket is for only 14 days and it's only round-trip. I would not recommend it. Use the Keisei Skyliner instead.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Trains - how do I get best value tickets 2015/2/9 03:50
John B is correct, the NEX Ticket has been changed again, and it's going to be a round trip only version.

I used the NEX one way version last year, even though I normally take the Kensai train to Nippori. I a big fan of a jet lag day to start out my trips to Japan. For that reason, I try to not activate a JR Pass to get out of the airport terminal, because I plan to not do much the following day.

Weird... There has always been a one way version departing from Narita. I'm not sure why they would discontinue it.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Trains - how do I get best value tickets 2015/2/9 07:47
Too bad you booked accommodations.

You can see Kyoto, Nara and Osaka by staying in Kyoto or Osaka...
This is where a 14 days JR pass become really useful
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Trains - how do I get best value tickets 2015/2/9 16:00
wow guys, thank you so very much! i find this site full of awesome people willing to share their experiences /advice and more importantly give their time to a complete stranger. :D
by AussieRonnie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread