Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spring Japan Trip Questions 2015/2/9 06:23
Hi,

This is my first trip to Japan and I am planning to stay around 20 days (End of March - Beginning of April). The plan is to stay in Kyoto and Tokyo and move from there to other cities (one-day trips).
I would like to ask you for some feedback about the following itinerary and some help about a couple of questions that I have:

Day 1: Afternoon Arrival (Narita) - trip to Kyoto
Day 2: Kyoto
Day 3: Kyoto
Day 4: Nara
Day 5: Kyoto or Hiroshima / Miyajima
Day 6: Kyoto - Tokyo (evening)
Day 7: Nikko
Day 8: Kamakura
Day 9: Matsumoto Castle
Day 10: Hakone/ Mount Fuji
Day 11: Yokohama
Day 12: Tokyo
Day 13: Tokyo
Day 14: Tokyo
Day 15: Tokyo
Day 16: Tokyo
Day 17: Tokyo
Day 18: Tokyo
Day 19: Tokyo
Day 20: Afternoon Departure (Narita)

My main questions are if I should go to Hiroshima / Miyajima or if it is better to stay that day visiting Kyoto.
I am still not sure if maybe it is better to have a 14 JR pass to have the chance to go back to Kyoto in case that the sakuras bloom later than planned or a 7 day JR Pass and pay the other trips without the pass.
It may look that I am staying a lot of days in Tokyo but I really want to know the city, but I could spend a day in another city if it is worth it. Thanks!!
by Chris (guest)  

Re: Spring Japan Trip Questions 2015/2/9 15:33
If I were you I would visit Hiroshima / Miyajima instead of another day in Kyoto. Miyajima is a tourist trap but it sort of belongs on the list of places to visit.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Japan Trip Questions 2015/2/19 18:26
@Jim: I don't think Miyajima is a tourist trap.

@Chris: I also think that you should spend a day in Hiroshima and Miyajima.
Regarding JR pass, I think 7-day JR pass is better. If you add Hiroshima to your list in the first 7 days, it definitely pays off: 2 ways Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Hiroshima, and Hiroshima to Tokyo or Kyoto. I would suggest you to place Matsumoto on the seventh day because the transportation cost from Tokyo to there is much higher than to Nikko. The last year, the full-bloom in Kyoto was 03-April. It is also expected from 2-10/April this year.
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Japan Trip Questions 2015/2/19 18:53
You say 'The plan is to stay in Kyoto and Tokyo...'...

Have you got accommodation already sorted, especially in Kyoto? If not, you may find that your plans are going to change...
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Japan Trip Questions 2015/2/22 20:52
@Jim: Thanks for your reply, I will consider going to Hiroshima / Miyajima
@Inkhang: Thanks for your reply. I will go to Matsumoto on the 7th day as suggested. About spending one night in Hiroshima / Miyashima, I won't be able to do it because I have already reserved the hotels, but thanks for the suggestion.
Regarding the full-bloom in Kyoto, I am staying in Kyoto until Mar 28th (I may miss the full bloom for a couple of days, but wanted to avoid missing it if it was earlier than expected), is there a big change in 6 days (if the date is the same as last year)? If it is, a one-day trip to Kyoto may be the best option, and in that case should I go with a 14-day pass or should I go with the 7-day pass and pay the others individually?
@Saru Bob: Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have made the hotel reservations at both Kyoto and Tokyo.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Japan Trip Questions 2015/2/22 23:17
In terms of timing, I would suggest that you visit Miyajima as close to a full or new moon as possible. The tidal shift is the largest and you will have a chance to see the Shrine and Tori gate in both the "Floating" and "Beached" state. It will be floating in the morning, and beached in the afternoon.

Since you have several days in Kyoto, and this is going to be a day trip from Kyoto, I would suggest choosing the day to visit Miyajima this way.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Japan Trip Questions 2015/3/1 11:51
@ebaychucky311: thanks for the tip! I will move my visit to Miyajima to be as close to a full or new moon as possible. I read that the 20th is a full moon so I will go there the first day (day 2).
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread