Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Sobu Line 2015/2/10 01:26
Hi friends,
I want to ask about JR Sobu Line, is it cover by JR pass (as I want to go from Tokyo St. to Bakurocho St)
I read JR Chuo Line and JR Chuo Sobu line are cover, but JR Sobu Line, is it cover ?
Thanks alot my friends.
Cheers
by jimny (guest)  

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/2/10 08:48
Yes, both the JR Sobu Line and JR Chuo Line are covered!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/2/10 14:43
Thanks Uji,
I'vent been in Tokyo Station before, is it difficult to transfer train from NEX to JR Yamanote or JR Sobu line.
Thanks for your help
by Jimny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/2/10 16:08
If you are coming from Narita airport station(terminal 1 or 2, by NEX), it's easier to get off in Shinagawa station(NEX arrives platform No.15), then move to platform No.13 in Shinagawa sta. It takes only 2-3 mins.

But you must be careful that, the platform No.13 also share with NEX for Narita airport, and, "Yokosuka-Sobu joint liner" for Tokyo. When you go to Bakurocho-station, you must carefully catch a "Yokosuka-Sobu joint liner" other than "Tokyo" (such as the final destination for "Tsudanuma", "Funabashi" or "Chiba").
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/2/11 00:14
Thanks Tokyo Friend
by Jimny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/3 21:38
Hi friend,
I have further question, about this "Yokosuka -Sobu joint liner", so when I start from Shinagawa and go to Bakurocho using this line, doest it means I have to change the train (from Yokosuka to Sobu Line) at Tokyo Station, or it practically just the same train
Thank you for your help
Cheers,
Jimny
by jimny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/3 22:00
Some trains require a change, others don't. Check Hyperdia.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/3 22:42
NEX and Sobu lines use the same tracks from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station. If you want to go to Bakurocho the best (and fastest) transfer is in Tokyo station as both trains are in the same section. Sometimes you will only have to move to the opposite platform, and another times if you are lucky both trains will share the same one. Look at this map:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/img/map_e/e1039.pdf

Both lines stop at the lower level, tracks 1-4. Bakurocho is just the second stop from Tokyo Station with Sobu Line. Had my hotel there two years ago ;)
by FunkHouse rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/3 22:54
To clarify,
The JR subway section through Tokyo carries Sobu line trains (called Sobu Kaisoku), Yokosuka line trains and NEX trains.
The Sobu Kaisoku line runs north from Tokyo station and connects to the main Sobu line that runs east-west. The Yokosuka line runs south from Tokyo station.
Thus, the subway section is called Sobu-Yokosuka.
It's rather confusing.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/3 23:15
Thank you Firas, FunkHouse, Dick H for all you quick reply..It's quite clear now for me about these lines..
@FunkHouse : yes..I think about that hotel too :)
by jimny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/4 14:17
All JR group haven't "subway" section or as railway lines.
That part and some other Private lines similar parts are
just one of long "underground pass" section.(also not calling "tunnel")

In Tokyo "subway" rail campanies are "Toei" and "Metro" only they are not JR rail.
So that JR part cannot calling as "subway(chikatetsu in JP)".
This is official "subway" map of Tokyo.(subway : colored fat lines only)
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf
by ts (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/5 00:47
Yes, I know what a subway is, since I wrote "Tokyo Subways", published by Hoikusha, in 1992.
Subway is an English word meaning "an underground electric railway". Unfortunately, the Japanese have chosen to define it as only those subways operated by certain companies. In reality, there are many more subways in Tokyo than just the 13 operated by Toie and Metro. You may choose to ignore all the other's, but I do not.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/5 06:44
In reality, there are many more subways in Tokyo than just the 13 operated by Toie and Metro.

The only one that comes to my mind which I could define as a subway is the Rinkai Line. You would have to stretch the common definition of subway tremendously to qualify any other of Tokyo's train lines as a subway.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/5 07:02
There's always the Tsukuba Express! :)
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: JR Sobu Line 2015/3/5 08:01
UJI: If it is an underground railway with stations, I believe it qualifies. You may not agree.
Here are a few.
JR Keiyou
JR Sobu Rapid - Yokosuka
Kawasaki Subway (U/C)
Keikyu Ry. Airport line
Keio New Line
Minato Mirai (Yokohama)
Saitama Ry (SR)
Seibu Yurakucho
Tokyo Monorail
Tokyu Ry. Denentoshi line
Tokyu Meguro line