Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary and JR Pass 2015/2/10 18:55
We are travelling to Japan and need some questions answered please.

JR Pass - looking at purchasing a 7 days pass - starting from 20 March 2014.
We intend to use the JR Pass as follows:

Day 1 Tokyo to Hakone and Back to Tokyo

Day 3 Tokyo to Takayama

Day 5 Takayama to Kyoto

Day 7 Kyoto to Osaka

Day 9 Osaka to KIX Airport

Would the 7 Days JR pass be sufficient for all travel to these areas or do we need to buy other day pass.

Is it preferably to purchase the Green JR pass instead especially for the Trip to Takayama?

Would very much appreciate any advise on the different lines/type of trains/train timetable to the above places ie how to book these trips. Many thanks.
by jb (guest)  

Re: Itinerary and JR Pass 2015/2/10 19:48
Use the Hakone Freepass to travel to Hakone from Shinjuku Stn and back.

Then activate a 7 day Railpass between Days 3 & 9.

Bullet train from Tokyo to Nagoya then Wide View Express to Takayama.

Wide View Express to Nagoya, then Bullet train to Kyoto

Kyoto - Osaka use the local express trains and the Haruka Express when you go to KIX.

As for the question of whether a Green Pass is necessary, that's a personal preference I think. Ordinary carriages are perfectly clean and comfortable so for me, the extra cost isn't worth it but if you've got the money, why not?

You can make seat reservations for all these journeys when you convert your railpass but note that there are likely to be long queues at NRT of people waiting to do the same thing during the peak Spring travel season.

by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary and JR Pass 2015/2/10 20:23
I would have to crunch the numbers but at first glance don't think a 7 JR Pass would save you any money.

Using your days from Day 3 to 9 should only cost you around 25,000 to 26,000 yen using single tickets. Using it from Day 2 - 8 would cost you somewhere between 27,000 and 28,000 yen.

A 7 day pass will set you back 29,000 yen for a regular and 38,000 yen for a green car pass.

My numbers aren't exact since I am doing them off the top of my head so if I might be mistaken but I am 80% sure the JR rail pass wouldn't be worth it.
by Goober (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread