Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 11:22
Hi,Came across Joe's Japan travel journel write up regarding Shimane/Matsue. I planning to go there.
Would like some help on the following questions.
1. where is the convenient airport osaka or tokyo?
2. when is the best time to go for autumn koyo?
3. Is 4 days enough for the area? we don't mind to stay longer.
Thank you
by bel lin (guest)  

Re: Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 12:10
1. Depends how you want to go from the airport to Matsue. If you want to go by daytime train, then definitely Osaka. From Tokyo, there is the Sunrise Izumo night train. Finally, flights to nearby airports (Yonago or Izumo) should be available from both Tokyo and Osaka.

2. Mid- or late November.

3. That should be more than enough.

(It's Shimane, by the way, not Shimmane.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 12:28
Osaka is the closer of the two airports. The train ride from Okayama to Matsue is really pretty as well.

I can't speak to autumn colours.

4 days is more than enough time. The main sites in Matsue itself can easily be done in a day and the rest can be done as side trips over a couple of days.

Matsue is wonderful. Make sure to catch the sunset over Lake Shinji!
by dotpatrick rate this post as useful

Re: Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 12:58
Now that I had some idea, I will do more research into it. Thank you all for your help!
by bel lin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 13:33
And don't forget Izumo Taisha!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 14:07
I really love Okinoshima islands to which you can go by ferry, high-speed boat or airplane from Shichirui, Sakaiminato, Osaka etc.

http://www.japan-guide.com/search/?cx=015609760794546757367%3A7rvvvope...
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 14:47
So many beautiful places to go, think I will buy seven day sanyo sanin area pass will enable us to travel around Chugoku.

Thank you all!

Re: Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 21:51
In response to number 4, I know everyone is saying "It's enough", but I think it's always important to mention that it depends on your interests. There are a ton of hidden gems in the Matsue/Izumo area. In addition to those listed on this site and Yuushien Garden listed in the travel blog, Izumo and Matsue both have a lot of great shrines and some temples that are historic and many that are written about in some of the oldest accounts of Japan and have very interesting associations with some of Shinto's most famous stories.

There is also the Hinomisaki area of Izumo with Japan's largest lighthouse. Should be nice in the fall (winter would be SO cold and windy).

The area is also home to a few very famous onsen.

Being in Izumo and Matsue also provides you with a nice base for exploring Mount Daisen, which should be excellent in the autumn if your trip is timed right.

Sakaiminato is fun if you like anime, Japanese folktales, or just enjoy some quirky fun.

In the other direction, you have access to Iwami Ginzan, Shimane's World Heritage Site, which is interesting.

Further south is the famous aquarium. Most people wouldn't use Matsue as a base for going to parts of the prefecture beyond the aquarium, but it's possible, especially if you have a pass that gives you free access to the Limited Express Trains.

You can also take a boat to the Oki Islands from Matsue.

So, although most people would only spend a couple days in the area, there is enough to fill 4 days and more if it interests you. The area is highly underrated and underexplored!
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 22:02
So, although most people would only spend a couple days in the area, there is enough to fill 4 days and more if it interests you.

That's a truism.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Shimmane Prefecture/ Matsue 2015/2/13 23:36
Hi Rabbityama, I just book our ticket from Nov 16 to Nov 27, hopefully is the right timing for koyo. with the seven day pass we will spending most of our time in Shimane prefecture as this time we will take it easy. like you mention there are many many hidden gem around.

Thank you very much for all the information provided.

reply to this thread