Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone saturday sunny vs monday cloudy 2015/2/15 08:21
Planning to do the Hakone day trip in a weeks time, but looking at the weather forecast I'm torn between two options. So for those who have been a few times, would you rather:

A, Visit Hakone on a sunny weekend?

B, Visit Hakone on a cloudy weekday?

(Crowds vs View)

Thanks!
by Ali Baba (guest)  

Re: Hakone saturday sun vs monday cloud 2015/2/15 10:29
I have had some bad experiences with crowded buses being stuck in terrible traffic jams when I visited on weekends. Therefore, I will always avoid Hakone on weekends.

The most memorable trip to Hakone (in a positive way) among my 18+ trips there was on a rainy and misty day. I saw Mount Fuji only on around 4-5 of these trips. So, I would not expect the mountain to be visible even when the weather is good.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone saturday sunny vs monday cloudy 2015/2/16 12:05
Hello,

Based on my previous trips, I would prefer to visit Hakone on a Sunny Saturday rather than Monday cloudy. You will enjoy Hakone on a nice weather. Nevermind about the crowd, it is definitelworthwhile.
by Happy Travel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone saturday sunny vs monday cloudy 2015/2/16 12:20
If I were you, I'd go on a weekday.

We (Tokyo residents) usually go on Friday, stay over the night in Hakone, and return on Saturday. The crowd definitely can get heavy on Saturday morning already (the degree depends on the season, though). We have had bad experience that the Tozan Train got so crowded that we had to wait for another train for the way back to Hakone-yumoto.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone saturday sunny vs monday cloudy 2015/2/16 14:06
Weather is paramount in this visit. Sunny day if you want to meet "Fujisan". May not be a guarantee, but undoubtedly a much better chance.
Cloudy day, and shower may follow. It would be disaster for a visit to Hakone.
While many may travel Yumoto to Togendai , Hakone -machi course , you may want to try the opposite direction by catching Tozan bus from either Odawara or Hakone Yumoto station to Moto-Hakone or Hakone-machi. And hope for a lesser crowd. We did this later course the two times we visited the areas, and found the crowd was manageable.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone saturday sunny vs monday cloudy 2015/2/16 21:28
If visibility is a priority, there are plenty of Live Cameras of Mount Fuji that you can use to see if it's worth visiting:
http://www.fujigoko.tv/live/
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone saturday sunny vs monday cloudy 2015/2/17 08:36
If your purpose is seeing Mount Fuji, make sure to go to the Fuji Five Lakes rather than Hakone! Never go to Hakone with the purpose of seeing Mount Fuji. You will fail even on days with good weather.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread