Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting a Japanese blacksmith 2015/2/17 04:26
Greetings!

As a part of my journey to Japan, I would like to visit an authentic Japanese blacksmith, specializing in nihonto, and first of all, the famous Katanas.
Being a backpacking university student, I don't look for a private "show", but for it is worth, I have the curiosity and respect (both as a fan and as an engineer) to spend at least a full day in such a place.

From a glance, there are a few places that maybe what I look for: Osafune, Seki, Okuizumo.

I would be grateful for a recommendation - either on the mentioned above, or other place.

ありがとう ございます,
Simon.
by Simon (guest)  

Re: Visiting a Japanese blacksmith 2015/2/20 16:04
I recommend go to Osafune in Okayama, There are work shop. http://www.city.setouchi.lg.jp/token/
by Travel Arrange Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting a Japanese blacksmith 2015/2/20 16:39
Bizen-Osafune Nihon-to training school accepts a "free" guide tour on Sat, Sun and public holiday only.
Make an advanced booking first(prior to one week).
http://www.osahune.com/cgi-bin/enquete/form0001.reg

address: 93 Osafune, Osafune-cho, Setouchi-shi, Okayama

Hour: 9:00-16:00(Lunch Break:12:00-13:00)

Curving Performance on live: 13:00-14:00(Sun and Public Holiday "ONLY")

Note: International visitors are welcome to join but the guide only speaks Japanese language.

The guide invites you to the display hall first and explain the history of nihon-to and the process of how to make nihon-to(approx 30 mins). Then invite you to Katana master work place(approx 45 mins). You can ask questions related to Katana process but Katana master only speaks Japanese language.

Drunken visitors are prohibited to join.

Photo can be taken but ask the guide first.

The tour may cancelled without a notice.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting a Japanese blacksmith 2015/2/27 07:27
Thank You very much for the answers!
by Simon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread