Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mobile contract with unlocked US cell phone 2015/2/17 09:30
I am getting mixed information from my company and my coworkers on this topic. I would love to know your personal experiences.

I have an unlocked phone from the US. It is a model that many of the large carriers like Docomo list as a supported device because it has the same bands that Japanese uses.

My company said that I should be able to take my unlocked phone to Docomo and they will give me a SIM card with a 2 year contract. I looked at Docomo's website and they do have information on how to use their service with an unlocked phone from another provider.

My coworkers said they brought their unlocked phones over from the US, but were denied a SIM card and contract from large carriers like Docomo, Softbank, and AU. They said these carriers will only give you a SIM card and contract if the unlocked phone was from Japan - not the US. They were able to get a SIM card and plan with smaller carriers like B Mobile and IIJ.

I told my company this information and they said there's a few problems they've found. Some people were denied because their Japanese levels were too low and they couldn't communicate well with the sale associate. They said another problem they found was that the sales associate was unaware they could give a SIM card and contract to an unlocked US phone and so they just simply said it wasn't possible. My supervisor said this was the case for him when he first arrived in Japan. He could barely speak Japanese and the sales associate didn't know much English so he was denied. However, he came back with his Japanese friend who spoke to another sales associate and he was then given a SIM card and contract. He then said a personal friend of his tried this at one store and was denied, but was accepted at another store.

Another problem/solution I read online was that if the carrier doesn't give you a SIM card and contract with your unlocked phone from the US, they usually give you a free phone with a 2 year contract. Make sure the free phone has the same SIM card as your unlocked phone and just switch the SIM from the free phone to your unlocked phone.

My phone is new so I would prefer to continue to use it in Japan, but if large carriers deny US phones and it is that big of a problem like others have said I will obviously buy a Japanese phone. I just hope this is not the case?
by Suramongkol (guest)  

Re: Mobile contract with unlocked US cell phone 2015/2/17 11:16
I am not familiar with major carriers, but if they deny you a SIM card to use with your phone, you can go to a SIM-only provider like b-mobile. Since everything is done online, communication is much less of a problem (though you still need a Japanese-speaking friend to help you navigate the Japanese-only website).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Mobile contract with unlocked US cell phone 2015/2/17 14:43
Thank you Firas. I was actually thinking of B Mobile because one of their plans had 7 GB for such a low cost!!! But then a lot of reviews said the data speeds are so slow that you can barely use the Internet or apps. I will be using apps to keep in touch with family back home and I will be using maps to get around. I need a carrier with data speeds that allow that.
by Suramongkol (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mobile contract with unlocked US cell phone 2015/2/17 14:48
Not sure which review you are referring to, but most people here and elsewhere (myself included) who have used b-mobile have not had such problems. Even a plan with speed limited to 300kbps is sufficient for Web browsing, texting and maps, so I can't see how a plan with uncapped speed would not work.

Re: Mobile contract with unlocked US cell phone 2015/2/19 03:49
Really Firas? That is very reassuring! I looked up reviews online and on YouTube and many people complained that they only got 100-200kbps. I am not sure what areas they are in though. I will be between Ishikawa.

Is there anyway I can ask you more information about B Mobile if you do not mind? I have a little more questions.
by Suramongkol (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mobile contract with unlocked US cell phone 2015/2/19 09:13
there is a good discussion of bmobile and other sims here:

http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2014/01/updated-comparison-of-b-mobile-...
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mobile contract with unlocked US cell phone 2015/2/20 11:52
Is there anyway I can ask you more information about B Mobile if you do not mind? I have a little more questions.

Sure, that's what this place is for.

Re: Mobile contract with unlocked US cell phone 2015/3/10 14:36
Another problem/solution I read online was that if the carrier doesn't give you a SIM card and contract with your unlocked phone from the US, they usually give you a free phone with a 2 year contract. Make sure the free phone has the same SIM card as your unlocked phone and just switch the SIM from the free phone to your unlocked phone.

I wouldn't recommend doing this. They can tell that you are using a smartphone by the imei number, which may get you very large bills. You are better off going with one of b-mobile's newer voice/data plans which run off of docomo's network anyway so the service will be similar.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Mobile contract with unlocked US cell phone 2015/3/10 14:40
there is a good discussion of bmobile and other sims here:
http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2014/01/updated-comparison-of-b-mobile-...

FYI, bmobile recently revamped their offerings and the japanmobiletech page is no longer current. It will give you an idea of what the speeds are good for, however you'll have to match the speeds to the current plan names.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread