Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to present omiyage to teachers 2015/2/23 10:46
I'll be working as an ALT, but am confused about omiyage.

I was told to buy something unique for the principle, vice principle, and the JTE I'll be working with. Is there anyone else you would recommend?

For the other teachers and staff, I was told to bring a gift that can easily be distributed. The school said most people bring candy, but there are no candies unique to my state.

There is a really good tea that is made here and the flavor is special to my state because of the ingredients. There is 20 to a box. I need to bring 2 boxes in order to get enough for my school.

When I present it I don't want to just hand over a box. I was thinking of putting it in a cute gift wrapping bag with a tag that explains why it's special.

Is this appropriate?

I've never had to give a gift to the teachers and staff before. Do I just explain it to them and leave it in the teacher's room?

Or am I supposed to do something special?
by NewALT (guest)  

Re: How to present omiyage to teachers 2015/2/23 14:02
Omiyage is just something small but specific from where you come from. If your from America - just something which is specific from where you come from (being your country). It's more just about obligations - but it does make a little bit of a difference.....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: How to present omiyage to teachers 2015/2/24 01:26
Never mind the omiyage, if you're going to be working as an ALT, I recommend first brushing up on the difference between principle and principal.

;-)
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to present omiyage to teachers 2015/2/24 02:34
mfedley, the tea is small and rather inexpensive compared to other gifts people are bringing (I can't afford much more than that since it's taking a lot of money to get there) so I hope this will be good ^^

Saru Bob, lmfao! Overtired, sorry!
by newALT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to present omiyage to teachers 2015/2/26 12:04
You should bring at least 10 individual gifts to give to the people who will be helpful to you along the way. These include your principal, supervisor, vice principal (some schools have 2), JTEs, other teachers who help you, friendly administration staff and neighbors. You don't know who will befriend you and there's nothing worse than not having enough omiyage to present to the people who you want to.

When I came from Australia I bought a bag of inexpensive souvenirs with me and wrapped/gave them to people as I met them. They don't need to be big or expensive. Any souvenir type stuff, eg: boxed pens, key chains, tea towels, bookmarks etc is fine.

As well as the individual presents I brought a big box of sweets to leave in the staff room. Are you on the JET Program? If so keep in mind you will arrive when it's scorching hot and chocolate melts so the tea is a great idea, 2 boxes is fine. If you're from a country like USA, Australia or UK, it's quite easy to find imported food products from your home country so you can stock up here if you run out of omiyage.

And finally some advice if you're strapped for cash: ask for freebies. The JET Programme is quite well known and politicians and local businesses in your home country will send you some free stuff if you ask for it. I wrote to all of the tourist bureaus in my country as well as my local city council, tourist attractions, politicians, ambassadors etc and scored dozens of stickers and badges to give to my students.
by jennjett rate this post as useful

Re: How to present omiyage to teachers 2015/2/26 12:56
And to answer the second part of your question: it depends. Most people leave their boxes of omiyage on a communal table in the staff room and everyone helps themselves. If you want to be more personal you can individually wrap each tea bag and make stickers or tags explaining where they're from and then give these to people at their desks while introducing yourself. I think the tea is a great idea if it's made in your state, you'll still need to get something else for the principal and JTEs to distinguish these gifts form the communal tea you're bringing for everyone.
by jennjett rate this post as useful

reply to this thread