Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/23 18:23
A female friend and I are traveling there, and I would like to buy a thing of pepper spray for when I'm not with her. The closer to Naha airport the better, thank you so much for any replies! (:
by James (guest)  

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/23 18:56
Note that carrying pepper spray (or in general any item "used to harm") is illegal without a "justifiable reason". What constitutes a "justifiable reason" is as usual left to the discretion of police officers (or judges if necessary).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/24 01:23
What exactly are you worried about? Unwanted attention from US Servicemen?

You're worried about her being attacked in Okinawa whenever you're not there to protect her?

Or is the pepper to season the SPAM and goya chanpuru you'll be eating?

by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/24 01:41
As a person that used to live in Japan for 3 years - I do find your question odd...

Japan is one of the safest countries in the world - specifically for female travelers.

Also - the laws about carrying pepper spray in Japan are a little grey - so it's probably not the best thing.

Also on US soldiers on Okinawa. After some of the problems the US has had with how they have treated local Okinawan women in the past and some negative resentment there are extreme expectations on US servicemen in Japan. As such - they tend to have less rights than locals if they do something wrong. This sounds strange - but I've had to go into the US base on a couple of occasions for school activities so have spoken to people who work in this area.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/24 12:23
Where do you think to have landed?
Is your female friend so irresistible for menkind to require a weapon?
Why don't you hire a professional body-guard instead of pepper spray?
It will save your friend from being ridiculised and passing for a celebrity.
by g (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/24 14:24
I think no matter where someone is, no matter how safe, wanting protection isn't wrong. It's always better to be safe than sorry, despite the incredibly low odds of being sorry in a safe area like Okinawa.
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/24 20:22
I think that carrying a weapon, especially when you're a guest in someone else's country, is generally wrong and can also be very unsafe.

If safety was such a concern for me, I think I might stay at home with the doors and windows locked.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/24 22:25
Have you asked your female friend how she feels?

Your original post was that you would like to buy pepper spray for her. Does she even want it?

Is it you that feels unsafe? Or is it her?
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/25 00:01

While I think Japan is generally a safe country, better be safe than sorry! To those thinking nothing can happen to you here, I would advise you to start watching the local news! Some women DO get followed by creepers, raped or even killed! While I would advise not to carry pepper spray since it could get your friend into trouble, I think carrying a small key chain alarm and knowing some basic self defense moves would be enough...
by Lizzy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/25 00:28
I think Lizzy's suggestion of a key chain alarm is probably the best bet if you are very worried about your female friends safety in general. Plus - it should be able to be brought over from the US or your home country without any major problems....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/25 02:04
I agree about an alarm. Is carrying a pepper spray not illegal in Japan. If she used it and the incident got into a police matter, she could be the one in trouble. You never know.
Self-defence is ok, but carrying a pepper spray before she needs self-defence could be twisted like she had an intent of attacking.

I don't think a pepper spray makes her safe or protected. It's her common sense and instinct to avoid times of day, places and situations, in which she shouldn't be browsing on her own, to be targeted.
by kd (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/25 11:44
Safe or not safe.
Don't you find it odd that someone on Holiday in Japan is going to look for "pepper spray"?!
I'd rather buy a katana should I worry so much. At least I can take two birds with one stone, a nice souvenir and weapon as well.
But pepper spray!!!!

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/25 22:40
I also think the pepper spray subject is a female traveling solo.
You might have had some very bad experiences before if you feel so threatened.
Let me reassure you that you're absolutely safe in Japan and don't listen to those who watch too many news...
You can Always use the pepper spray to sprinkle your salad in case you bought it already. Trust me, a much wiser move...

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/26 06:39
Japan is the safest developed country on the planet, but there are still some crazy people there and women travelling alone are sometimes victims of serious crime. In Okinawa, that includes the large number of US military-there have been some shocking incidents in the past, and there remains the belief that justice is rarely done when US servicemen commit crimes.

In many countries pepper spray is illegal. Your best options are a perfume spray, a travel deodorant, and a rape alarm. These should make you feel a bit safer.

Some of the responses to this query have been disappointing. This forum is for advice, not to yell at people.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/26 09:06
As a woman who has lived alone in Japan for a year I can reassure you that although nowhere in the world is 100% safe, Japan is a lot safer than other countries I've lived in. If you're worried I suggest buying a personal alarm, this should be sufficient and is less dangerous than carrying pepper spray. You can get one at Yamada Denki, there are 3 Yamada Denkis in Okinawa, the directions are here: http://okinawahai.com/yamadatech/
by Jinx77 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where in Okinawa can I buy pepper spray? 2015/2/26 14:52
I don't know where you are from James, but on a forum about Paris some US tourists that have never been to Paris ask if it is OK to carry a revolver or mace or pepper spray.

The usual reply is "sure..if you want to see the inside of a French jail for several months"..
Spraying someone who you think looks like he/she might rob you make YOU the guilty party.

I am pretty sure it is the same in Japan..
by Rueful renard (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread