Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can i work in different prefecture 2015/2/24 12:58
Hi i am a dependent visa holder address in Tokyo.
My questions:
1-Can i work in another prefecture (for eg-Okinawa)??. {Yes , i can legally work in japan for 28hrs /week (my visa status allows me)}
As i am a dependent holder to my father , can i work in another prefecture with my address of Tokyo?
My father is chef in restaurant in Tokyo hence , he is not leaving tokyo but me. Therefore can i work or not?
Someone pls enlighten me . I am so stressed over this matter. If i can work in chiba why not Okinawa?
Note; my dad isn't changing address so i wont be able to as well. But i wanna work in okinawa.. HELP
by Sunhabb  

Re: Can i work in different prefecture 2015/2/24 14:11
I am not a lawyer, so you might want to ask one, but this is as far as I know.

As the resident status of dependent is granted to you to allow you to be together with your father in Japan so that he can support you, if your intention is to be able to live independently from him, away from him, that sounds like you don't need to be supported by him so defies the purpose of your resident status. Chiba is within commuting distance from Tokyo, so that makes a difference. I do not know how Immigration will view the situation.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can i work in different prefecture 2015/2/26 22:35
Yes, you can go work in Okinawa (i.e., you won't be doing anything illegal if you do). How long you can do it, however, depends on how immigration will view this. The activities permitted under "Dependent" status are defined thus:

"Daily activities on the part of a spouse or unmarried minor supported by the foreign national staying in Japan."

What exactly is meant by "supported" is not defined, and is as usual judged on a case-by-case basis. It is not implausible that financial-only support while you are living apart could qualify, at least temporarily, but if you are completely independent, that's probably a no-no.

In any case, you won't know until they examine your case, which would probably be when they are notified by the city hall of your new residence in Okinawa after you go register there, but you can also ask them beforehand.

If they find that you no longer qualify for "Dependent" status, they may start the usual status revocation procedure after three months.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Can i work in different prefecture 2015/2/27 01:36
I asked the question and thanks for the answers . I am not independent at all financially hehe. Imean i can feed and live on my own by doin parttime here and there . I am not doing anything illegal at all therefore i guess i qualify to work in okinawa as far as i am not breaking any laws .
by Sun (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i work in different prefecture 2015/2/27 01:40
You really should consult with immigration and/or a lawyer beforehand, though. You don't want to start living in Okinawa only to be told three months later that you have to go back to Tokyo or leave Japan.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread