Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

bugaboo bringon 3 to tokyo? 2015/2/24 20:44
I will be in tokyo with my 20 month old toddler and my 66 year old mom. I was wondering if pushing my cameleon would be convenient? Will it be too big for subways? Do japanese moms use bugaboo cameleon

I have a manduca carrier but thought that I could use my stroller to carry my purchases.
by JoanneCPS (guest)  

Re: bugaboo bringon 3 to tokyo? 2015/2/26 03:00
If the photo's I have found are correct you should be ok on the subway as long as you steer clear of peak times. I wouldnt want to try to get in to many shops with it though.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: bugaboo bringon 3 to tokyo? 2015/2/26 14:34
It will probably be too wide to through the normal gates at stations, but there is always one in each set for disabled that is wider. You might have to wait if it is a two way gate, or ask the staff member to let you through their gate. Not all stations on the older subway lines have elevators, but in those cases you can ask staff to carry it down stairs. Where elevators have been added the routes can sometimes be strange, so look out for signs and a allow extra time for traveling.

In shops and public places you are not supposed to use escalators with baby car, but some people do. If the shops/museums etc are narrow, you can just leave the stroller near the entrance (probably not with baby in).

Same goes for crowded narrow sidewalks, just take your time, avoid peak times, and plow on thru.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: bugaboo cameleon 3 to tokyo? 2015/2/26 15:12
Oops I actually means bugaboo cameleon 3. But I guess autocorrect has something to do with the change of title. Hehe

Thank you for the responses!
by JoanneCPS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bugaboo bringon 3 to tokyo? 2015/2/27 09:34
You will notice when you come to Japan that the Japanese strollers are well designed for use on public transport, being narrow, lightweight, modern colors and durable, whereas the strollers used in the Western world are large, probably more comfortable, more adaptable from small baby to toddler, made for the SUV, or out jogging!

I pushed my grand daughter from birth to about 5 yrs in an umbrella stroller, the smallest we could buy,(we never used the bugaboo on the public transport) and still ran into quite a lot of problems using the subway, with the stairs, crowds and no convenient elevators.Honestly,it was usually other women who helped carry it down the stairs, not men who just looked the other way. Things are changing and there are more elevators and escalators, and we did take the stroller on those. Best to plan where the elevator is in the station and use them if possible. It is not easy, but certainly did help with the shopping, and also allowed the toddler to nap when needed.
Young Japanese mothers use the frontpack a lot... its so much easier getting on and off the train.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bugaboo bringon 3 to tokyo? 2015/2/28 11:23
I concur with the other posters.

I've taken my daughter 5 different times to Japan and always use my Baby Jogger City Mini.

I avoid peak times on the train- I usually leave her strapped in the pram on trains unless it's a longer distance. The primo seat for me is the pram tucked in near the door way and me on the seat next to that so I can secure it.

If you're savvy enough while traveling on the train you'll get used to which carriage at your stop is near the elevator if the station has one.

The sling would be good for a short trip but not to be spending the day site seeing.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bugaboo bringon 3 to tokyo? 2015/2/28 23:32
Oh but maybe it is because your stroller is small?

I only have a bugaboo cameleon 3 and I don't intend to buy another one. Is your stroller the same size as the bugaboo cameleon 3?
by JoanneCPS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bugaboo bringon 3 to tokyo? 2015/3/1 14:35
No, I wouldn't call a BJCM pram small- especially compared to the Maclarens and Aprica strollers favoured in Japan.

Not suggesting you buy another pram but I wouldn't travel without the BJCM- great sunshade and she can still sleep in it at 5yrs old.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bugaboo bringon 3 to tokyo? 2015/3/2 01:07
Just moved here with my son and his Graco Evo pushchair in tow. Despite what people told us in advance we've had no problem getting around, including on and off numerous trains in Tokyo. And it's a damn sight bigger than the flimsy pushchairs everyone here has. Just avoid rush hour, and show your ticket or suica to the attendant at the side of the ticket barriers to go though the wider gate (if there isn't a wide one already there)
by Junkymotown (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread