Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tattoo-Related 2015/2/25 06:45
I've read many threads about tattoos and visiting Onsens and I'm prepared to be asked to leave from an Onsen due to my tattoo but I have a question about specific types of tattoos.

Are there certain stigmas against the image the tattoo is depicting? For instance, I have a dragon tattoo on my shoulder and I know some traditional Japanese tattoos (like dragons) are associated with Yakuza. It is very obvious that I am Gaijin (I'm African American plus Southern American accent) but I'm still a little nervous to show it and receive negative attention.

Any thoughts on the subject are definitely appreciated :)
by aya (guest)  

Re: Tattoo-Related 2015/2/25 13:53
Japan actually has a long history of body art, and yakuza sometimes have full body tattoo.

Get a large sticky plaster (sport tape) and cover it, you will be fine.

(of course, some tattoos are objectionable anywhere, but personally I like dragons - oriental and European)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo-Related 2015/2/25 18:16
Being a Japanese resident for more than 40 years, I don't feel that there are differences in stigmas depending on the design of the tattoo, any more than there are in Western countries.

What I mean is, for example in Britain, many might feel that a dragon tattoo is scarier than a Micky Mouse tattoo while others might dislike any sort of tattoos while others might love all tattoos and don't feel any differences depending on the design.

It's the same in Japan. Some might think that bigger tattoos are scarier or that dragons are scarier, but I don't think you'd be seen as a yakuza just because you have a dragon on yourself. At least, dragons are less stupid-looking than fake kanji tattoos.

If you're nervous, perhaps you can start by showing half of it from your sleave, and when you get the chance to bath or swim, you can try to go to the corner (which is in fact a convenient place to relax) and try to smile at whoever stares at you.

Hope you have fun.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo-Related 2015/2/25 18:24
Actually it is not that people with tattoo are regarded as yakuza or gang in Japan - the reason places like onsen and gyms they use "no tattoo" as it is the best way to keep off yakuza indirectly.
They cannot say "no yakuza" but "no tattoo" won't offend/upset yakuza.

Most people recognise the traditional Japanese yakuza tattoo (called "irezumi" "karakurimomon") from western tattoo (called "tattoo" and differenciated from "irezumi") that many people wear for just fashion including the Japanese.
But if those places allow people with tats while saying "no" to those with traditional "irezumi", that will be a big problem.

It is true that when hearing "ireazumi" (tattoo in Japanese), the notion of yakuza come to most people's mind but generally it is not a problem to have tattoo when visiting here as people who are obviously non-Japanese are not connected to yakuza in their mind.

Enjoy your visit!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo-Related 2015/2/25 21:13
Thank you so much for the feedback. All of you have definitely reassured me. Thanks again!
by aya (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread