Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Glasses - Cheapest place to buy 2015/2/25 09:02
Where is the cheapest place to buy glasses in Tokyo? I have seen posts where people say that they got their prescription glasses (frame + lens) for only 5,000-10,000 yen.

I already have my prescription (which is pretty weak) from America, but it does not have my PD. Will the glasses store measure my PD?
by glasses (guest)  

Re: Glasses - Cheapest place to buy 2015/2/25 17:36
CHeck out branches of JINS, Zoff, Own Days, or ALOOK (or Megane Ichiba). They do have eyeglasses (frame and lens) from 5,000 yen or so.

They are equipped to measure your eyesight as well as PD :) You can just walk in, see if they have frames that you like, and see what they say the price would be for that one.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Glasses - Cheapest place to buy 2015/2/26 03:37
Last time I was in Japan I broke my glasses and panicked! lol... But it was a WONDERFUL experience getting new glasses in Japan. I went to the local Mall and I believe it was Zoff that I went to.

1. Unlike America the price on the frame was the TOTAL price out the door including eye exam.
2. Eye exam done on the spot for free
3. No extra charge for lenses
4. Start to finish, under an hour.
5. Prices starting at ~40 USD. The ones I got were 70
6. Nice variety of frames to pick from

Now, I am not sure about things like bifocals and transition type lenses and they didn't try to sell my on extra coatings. They just assumed I didn't want any of that stuff..
by basketcase (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Glasses - Cheapest place to buy 2015/2/26 15:34
In America, with all the deals and coupons, I can get glasses for under under $30 a pair. Having them shipped to Japan will cost more, so I guess finding glasses here for like 4000-5000 yen is probably still a pretty good deal. I wouldn't pay much more than that though.

Glassesusa.com offers free international shipping if you spend over $99. You could get like 4-5 pairs of glasses, during a promotion, and have them shipped to Japan for free! haha Disclaimer: I've bought from them in the States, but not in Japan yet, so I'm just going from what their site says.
by Isaacthegamer rate this post as useful

Re: Glasses - Cheapest place to buy 2015/2/27 02:09
I agree that ZOFF, J!NS, and other places like Megane Ichiba are pretty cheap. If what they have is too expensive, sometimes they have a case of cheap glasses in the back, or sale items that they don't always show. Just ask, that's how I got mine for 3,900 yen.

I also think it's a wonderful experience.
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread