Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Haircut in Japan 2015/2/27 12:35
I am a bit worried of having my first haircut in Japan.
I don't speak fluent Japanese yet and hair salons cost a fortune here, around Y 7000 for cut, shampoo and phoning.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
by John (guest)  

Re: Haircut in Japan 2015/2/27 13:14
Go to large stations and there are 1000 Yen (1080 Yen with tax) hair cut shops around there. 1000 Yen hair cut only do cutting, it takes approx 10 mins. You need to be ready 1080 Yen. They don't have changes so much.
And tell the hairdresser how short you want to be(3cm, 5cm etc) and hair part(left, center, right or no center part).
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Haircut in Japan 2015/2/27 14:20
Thanks Tokyo friend but I would like to go somewhere a bit more relaxing where I can also have shampoo and phon for an equivalent price in Europe of about Y 2000/3000 .

It would also help if they had some model cuts pictures to show rather than resorting to left-right-up-down... You know what I mean... it's about my hair, don't wanna risk to end up with a crook cut...

Thanks if you can help!

by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haircut in Japan 2015/2/27 14:37
Why don't you just show them photos of the haircut you want on your smartphone, or print out pictures? I'm not sure if you can find what you are looking for for just 2000-3000 yen, if you want a nice salon with frills you will need to pay more. Unless you are willing to travel to the rural areas of the prefecture you live in where hairdressers are a lot cheaper than they are in the cities!
by jennjett rate this post as useful

Re: Haircut in Japan 2015/2/27 14:43
I am also about to get my first haircut in Japan this weekend and I am also a bit nervous, haha. What I will do is to take a picture with me that I can show the hairdresser, I think this is the easiest way for both sides. Also looking up some vocabulary is quite helpful, then you can write it down and bring it with you to the shop and try to explain what you want.
by CaroFromGermany (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haircut in Japan 2015/2/27 14:56
Thanks Janet.

So far I haven't seen anything cheaper than Y 7000 for cut-shampoo-blow dry.

Is it possible to stay within Y 5000 in rural areas?
Is it good manner to show pictures on your smartphone?
I feel a bit uneasy about that.
Don't they have photo albums to browse in hair salons?

Re: Haircut in Japan 2015/2/27 15:22
I've been going to a fancy place in Yutenji for ages, and they only charge me 5500 yen for shampoo, cut and blow.

I think it's more important to have your hair cut by someone who knows your hair more than the language, but I've seen blond male Caucasian customers there too. They're located on Yutenji Shotengai, but there are many newer salons along the road, and I'm sure you can find others offering similar price range.

Also note that a lot of barbers are quite fancy and still are able to offer you reasonable prices, and unlike hair solons they have a license to give you a shave.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haircut in Japan 2015/2/27 21:29
Thanks Uco but I don't live in Tokyo.
"they ONLY charge me Y5500"... man! Is that pocket money for you?!

In Europe you can get shampoo, cut and blow by Jean Louis David (first Paris hairdresser) for 25 Euro, about 3000 yen!

Are barbers much cheaper?
I don't mind barber or hair salon provided they understand what I want.

reply to this thread