Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Foreign Doctor 2015/2/28 19:25
Hi, I am 16 years about to study medicine in Australia.
I am wondering about the possibility of working as a doctor in Japan in the future.
What is the process?
Is it true only Japanese medical school graduates are allowed to practice medicine?
by samu (guest)  

Re: Foreign Doctor 2015/2/28 22:00
I'm sure you'd have to pass all medical qualifications in Japan. That would also mean you'd have to be fluent in medical Japanese terminology, which I've heard is not something that most people know. I'm sure others will add more.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Foreign Doctor 2015/2/28 22:07
I'll only add that the only foreign doctors I know of who practice in Japan have indeed graduated from Japanese medical schools (and the vast majority are from neighbouring Asian countries).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Foreign Doctor 2015/3/1 05:10
Japan doesn't import foreign medical doctors except British, France and Singapore medical doctors who can be foreign medical practitioner for research, educational and cultural exchange purpose(accepted 0-1 doctor each year). But those foreign doctors are unable to consult Japanese patients, they only consult foreigners.

You may have a chance to become Vet in Japan if you can pass the Vet association exam in Japan in Japanese. You must be very fluent in Japanese(almost Japanese native standard).
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Foreign Doctor 2015/3/1 05:26
@tokyo friend 48 Citation needed. Yes, I know there is no "Doctor" residence status, but AFAIK there is nothing stopping a permanent resident, or even a spouse of Japanese citizen or permanent resident from becoming a doctor. Like I said, I know of many foreign-born doctors, though it is possible that they are naturalised Japanese citizens. Here's one example: http://www.hiroseclinic.jp/html/intyo.htm

Re: Foreign Doctor 2015/3/1 05:40
I know there are number of Chinese medical doctors are working in Japan as a medical practitioner but they all hold Japanese medical license. Therefore they can work as a doctor permanently. Chinese in Japan and Australian in Australia are completely different.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Foreign Doctor 2015/3/1 05:45
Of course you need a Japanese medical license to practice medicine in Japan, I think that's true in every country. ;) That's what I was saying earlier, all foreign doctors in Japan still graduated from a Japanese medical school.

Re: Foreign Doctor 2015/3/1 11:28
The best doctor I've been to in Tokyo - by a very large margin - graduated from US universities. He also passed the Japanese Licensing examination.
http://pctclinic.com/

If you can pass the exam, you can practice AFAIK. This however is unlikely to be a simple test and would require high level medical Japanese.

by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foreign Doctor 2015/3/1 11:43
I've been to see British, German and American doctors in Tokyo, and none of them have gone to Japanese medical school. The fact that OP is getting so many conflicting answers here would suggest that maybe he or she should consult a more reliable source than random people on the internet.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Foreign Doctor 2015/3/1 12:04
here is the information how foreign doctors can get Japanese medical license.
http://www.mhlw.go.jp/topics/2012/05/tp0525-01.html
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread