Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/1 11:59
Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you for helping me with these various topics. I'm eternally grateful.

So, I'm planning a 19 days trip to Japan with my partner, for our honeymoon. I've chosen where to go, the area we will be staying, the best passes for us and our activities. I've worked out most of the costs and the trains, but I'm still having a little difficulty really understanding what will actually happen.

I'm really afraid, I've may missed some crucial details or leaving too much to chance here. I have a lot of questions and I'd really love if anyone can answer any of them. I've included my itinerary at the end of this topic, to help illustrate what I'm planning.

I'm planning that we will go to Japan, during the 8th- 26th May (to avoid golden week). I will be keeping to these dates, regardless of the year we go. (Definitely not this year)

General Japan Questions:
1. What can I expect the weather to really be like during this time?
2. How will the crowds be like during this period and is it peak season for travellers?
3. Is there any unexpected price hikes during this time?
4. I've planned that we will stay in Tokyo the whole trip. We will be travelling exclusively in this region for about 10-11 days. Is this a pretty wise decision?
5. What time is the first trains in the Tokyo area and the last trains?

6. Can someone explain the whole one price ticket, but still having transfers? See route 2 suggestion. How does this work? Do I hold onto the tickets the whole day or what? I'm really confused about paying one price, but getting off the trains to switch at locations.
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=IIDABASHI&arv_node...

Theme Parks:
Dome City, Disneyland, DisneySea, Fuji Q and Universal Studios. I've planned for us to go to all these theme parks on a weekday.

1. I'm planning for us to go to Universal Studios, mostly like during 20th - 24th of May. I can't find any predictions what the season is like for Universal Studios (unlike Disneyland). Does anyone know what the crowds will be like and the waiting times?

2. I'm planning on purchasing tickets for all of these theme parks on the day. Is this okay? Or should I order some in advance? I have no idea how to order in advance, or any concept around it (so if it's your advice, I will definitely need some help)

3. For Osaka and Kyoto, I plan on using the JR Pass which limits us in the trains we are allowed to us. The train timetable I've found makes it sound like most trains back to Tokyo are about 8-9pm. Most days we have to leave these areas about 7-8pm at night, and will be arriving at 9am. Will this be enough time to do Universal Studios, and our other activities I've planned?

4. I'm a bigger girl. I know this and I'm working on losing weight before I go over but I'm know, in my hearts of hearts, I won't be delicate in any shape or form. I was wondering what is the size restrictions on all these theme parks. I'd like to hear from someone whose been to them and how comfortably they fit in them. I know, I might not be able to do any of it, but I just want an idea of how big the seats might fit (dress sizes, weight, anything would be great)

Activities:
1. I'm planning on buying Sumo tickets on the day, after going to the gardens... Is this a bad idea? Should I get them first, go to the gardens and come back? Should I get them in advance?
2. I'm planning on buying tickets for most of our activities on the day. Is there any activities you wouldn't recommend this for? Which ones?

Itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive to Airport and get to our hotel in Iidabashi.
Day 2: Tokyo Dome City
Day 3: Imperial Palace, East Gardens and Akihabara
Day 4: Ameya Yokocho (Ameyoko/ƒAƒúî) and Ueno Zoo
Day 5: Shinjuku Gyoen Gardens and Sumo Match.
Day 6: Meiji Jingu, Takeshita Street and Shibuya
Day 7: Sony Building, Ginza, Tokyo Skytree and Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building
Day 8: Odabia (Decks, Rainbow Bridge, Palette Town, Leisureland, Wax Museum and Joypolis)
Day 9: Disneyland
Day 10:DisneySea
Day 11: Kawagucuchiko Music Forest
Day 12: Fuji Q Highland
Day 13: Nikko
Day 14: Osaka Aquarium and Dotonbori
Day 15: Osaka Castle, Umeda Sky Building and Joypolis
Day 16: Universal Studios Japan
Day 17: Kinkaku-ji, Fushimi Inari Taisha, Arishayama and Gion
Day 18: Kiyomizu-Dera and Eikan-Do
Day 19: Leave

Thank you again!
by lesh  

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/1 18:50
I've planned that we will stay in Tokyo the whole trip.
Day 11: Kawagucuchiko Music Forest
Day 12: Fuji Q Highland
Day 13: Nikko
Day 14: Osaka Aquarium and Dotonbori
Day 15: Osaka Castle, Umeda Sky Building and Joypolis
Day 16: Universal Studios Japan
Day 19: Leave

Please tell me you will leave Tokyo on day 14: and NOT spend the ENTIRE TRIP based in Tokyo!

I would do a day trip to Nikko earlier in the trip, just to break it up a bit, unless you plan to use a JR Pass to Nikko, and then onto Osaka.

Do you need 2 days to do your thing in the Kawaguchiko area? Can you do both in one day? If you need 2 days, then I would overnight in Kawaguchico...

Assuming there is a train trip on Day 14 Tokyo to Osaka, then you may get the Aquarium in as well, and Dotonbori at night, so long as you leave early.
Day 17: Kinkakuji, Arashiyama, and then Gion/Pontoncho in the evening
Day 18: Fushimi Inari, then Kiyomizudera and Eikando
(Fushimi Inari and Kinkakuji are on opposite sides of Kyoto, and it is not worth trying to travel between the 2, AS WELL AS including Arashiyama)
Day 19: Leave : from Where, and what time? ie do you have to get back to Tokyo, and if so, by when? OR are you leaving from KIX?

JR Passes are gold: but if you are NOT returning to Tokyo then not even a 7 day pass will pay off.
A prepaid card eg SUICA that you can buy in Tokyo and use in Kyoto/Osaka will be invaluable. They are valid on all trains and buses etc, so save the hassle of buying individual tickets.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Weather will be getting warmer: 3/4 length pants, t-shirts, and a light jacket. Fold up rain jacket as well.
COMFOTABLE SHOES are essential: you will do a HEAP of walking.

Dont worry about size: I also am not a lithe size, and have no problems in Japan in general: but have no idea re theme parks: however, you wont be the first larger person to go to a theme park.

Cant help you with theme parks and crowds etc: have no idea.

First trains in Tokyo are around 5am, and last trains a bit before midnight.
Check on Hyperdia.

Re: one price ticket etc
That trip you link to on Hyperdia shows you leaving from Tokyo to Osaka
Essentially, if you have a Suica card, then you gtouch onh at the first station when entering, and then follow signs and transfer lines etc and gtouch offh at the station you exit.
The local stations in Tokyo will be different to your long distance travel: ie you will need separate tickets for you long distance travel to Shin Osaka.
When you get off the Shinkansen in ShinOsaka, you will then use your Suica card to get from Shin Osaka to Universal City (I assume you will send your luggage ahead by Takkuhaibin?)

BUT if you are planning a JR Pass on the day you leave Tokyo, then you will just use your JR Pass until you need to sue the Suica card for the subway in Osaka.

So maybe let us know re departure airport, and think about a Suica card and JR Pass combination.

Happy to help more if I can

Cheers

by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 05:01
Hi, thank you so much for helping me.

We will be staying in the one hotel for the entire trip, which will be based in Iidabashi, Tokyo. I thought this was the smartest decision to avoid the hassle of transporting our luggage to other locations and I can get good packages for a long stay in one hotel versus paying for a few hotels to save on train costs.

So everyday of our trip, we must come back to our hotel in Tokyo. It seems to me, that most of the shinkansens end around 8pm so that is why I was wondering if it would be enough time for each area.

We are getting a Japan Rail Pass 21 Days. From what I've worked out, it should save us most money from Kawaguchiko onwards. Should we get a 14 day pass instead?

We will need two days for Kawaguchicko because we want to devote a whole day to each theme park we do (even if we don't end up spending the whole day there). I definitely don't want to crowd too much together. I want us to have the option to go out at night after our activities or rest up before tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice about Days 17/18. Fushimi Inari and Kinkakauji looked like a hour apart in travel which I thought might be manageable for that day but I will definitely look into further and see even if it's worth trying to crunch them all together.

We will definitely leaving from our hotel in Tokyo, on day 19 to Narita.

Oh, okay. Thank you. I may consider a Suica card for the non-JR rail lines. It seems easier than cash (which is what I was planning)
by lesh rate this post as useful

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 05:26
In no particular order -

Travelling with luggage is not hard, and if you are day-tripping to Osaka (?!) you'll waste too much time on trains.

I have done a similar trip for a lunch in Tokyo, and spent 2 1/2 hours each way from Kyoto - more time than actually meeting my friend (about 2 hours).

I agree with AusTF:
- put Nikko earlier in the trip
- trains start early and finish late (last arrivals are around midnight), so you need to be on a train early enough to get you back on time.

For theme parks - avoid weekends and public holidays. weather might still be cool in places, and a rain jacket will be important (showers and rain). Size wise - I'm 1.8M tall and have never had a problem - some of the rides might be snug. I liked Tokyo Dome - did the rollercoaster about ten times in a row with no queues.

Sumo - buy as early as you can. it is seeing a resurgence of popularity and January was a sell-out.

I would probably suggest a different set of places around day 15 onwards. The places you have listed in Kyoto are quite spread out and will take time to get around them all. Staying in Osaka or Kyoto will make them more accessible.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 06:31
I'm still not really comfortable with switching hotels mid-way through. I just not sure if it really be worth it.

It will only be 3 nights in osaka and 2 nights in kyoto if I do that way. Hmm. I need to look through my stuff again. I know if I did it this way I can save maybe 7 shinkansen rides down if I did change hotels. But with the travel I've planned, it makes me getting a JR pass almost pointless. I need to seriously look into this a little more to see if it is worth it.

Costs So Far: \406,735 ($4500 NZD) - this includes 18 nights, return flights and insurance for 2 people.

\175,436 ( 2 ordinary 21 JR Pass, \56,736 for PR rails, taxis and buses)

\112,380 (for about 40 so activities)

About \694,551 ($7670.57 NZD) without spending money or mishaps.

Does anyone think I can actually save more money by switching hotels mid-way? I just want to know if i am doing myself no favours.

I will switch Nikko to day 11. Thanks everyone.

I know the trains rides will be anywhere between 3-4 hours each. I was planning for us to catch the very first one of the days which will get us to Osaka/Kyoto about 9.30am. I was also planning for us to get the nearly last train out - 7.00pm. Which gives us 8/9 hours in Osaka/Kyoto on each day to do what I've planned.

With the travel included, will this be no good? Will I spend so much time on trains getting there, I won't be there for long??

Okay, I saw pre-order sumo tickets site that seem to ship internationally and to the hotel. I will arrange it that way.

What would you suggest for Kyoto?

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 06:45
I would certainly look at switching my hotel halfway through to one in either Kyoto or Osaka. It is not hard to move luggage, as long as you don't have too much, or other wise look to store some at your Tokyo hotel, or at a takkyubin, so you can travel lighter. If you are buying suitcases make sure they have good wheels, and it won't be hard to move around.

Regarding the sumo, you can buy online at the official website,nihon sumo kyokai website sumo.or.jp or otherwise the private one www.buysumotickets.com.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 07:19
Definitely change hotels to either Osaka or Kyoto. Donft bother to stay in both: just use one as a base.
We stay in Osaka (have family there, but it is generally cheaper accommodation and more options for fun at night) and do day trips to Kyoto.
Dont worry about luggage: you can send it by Takkuhaibin if you are really concerned.
Then youfd only need a 7 day rail pass.
Truly, the time wasted on Shinkansen trips every single day to Osaka and Kyoto is absolutely not worth it.

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 07:21
AND (sorry, sent too soon) you really will NOT want to be up and on a train every day at the crack of dawn, and getting back late needing to find dinner: you will be absolutely exhausted: hardly the point of a honeymoon, or any holiday for that matter.
You have to get from iidabashi to Tokyo or Shinagawa anyway...another time consuming part of the day.
Dont do it, please....

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 07:27
Thanks for the links. I shall bookmark.

It is looking like the time wasted on the transport down to osaka and kyoto is about 9-11 hours for some days.

It is really giving me a huge headache, now.

I may base ourselves in Osaka as it seems to be the cheaper option. I really need to work out our time-constraints and talk it through with my partner.

The dinner thing is not a huge issue - we will be staying in a place with a kitchen so we can prepare meals everyday we need to.

My head hurts now...xD :(

Thanks everyone. I will really consider switching hotels to see if it ends up being way more worth it (including the convenience and costs). I'm sure it will be but I have to go back and re-do a lot of my planning to sort out this mess.

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 10:19
The planning will be worth it - the work you do now will save you precious time and money once you are there.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 12:24
To make your planning easier:
1. Japan is an extremely easy country in which to travel. Really easy. With or without luggage.
2.Trains run like clockwork.
3. English signage is everywhere, both written and spoken.
4. Japanese people are extremely polite and helpful.
So transferring from Tokyo to Osaka is no big deal at all: be reassured.
Some observations:
your trip is heavily organised around theme parks: instead of the ones around Kawaguchiko have you maybe considered a romantic night in a Ryokan in Hakone?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html
So that would mean a possible trip as follows:
1. Day before you check out from your hotel in Iidabashi, ask them about transferring your luggage by Takkuhaiubin to your hotel in Osaka when you check out.
Pack enough for overnight into your daypacks for the night in Hakone
2. On day of travel to Hakone
Check out and leave luggage for transfer
Travel from Shinjuku to Hakone on a 2 day Hakone Free Pass
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html
Do the Hakone round course
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html
Enjoy your night in a Ryokan
3. Use the 2nd day of your free pass to get to Odawara, and travel from Odawara to ShinOsaka on the Shinkansen, and then to wherever in Osaka using your Suica card
When you arrive at your hotel your luggage will be waiting for you.

What time do you leave from Narita?
If its a day time flight then I would travel back from Osaka to Narita the night before, changing from the Shinkansen to the Narita Express at Shinagawa (much easier transfer than at Tokyo station) and stay at a hotel at Narita airport.
If it is an evening flight then it would be OK to travel from Osaka to Narita for your flight: we do this frequently for an 8pm flight, leaving Osaka around 12-12.30pm.

Check in at Narita is always open 3 hours ahead, but no more than that. So for an 8pm flight we arrive on the NEx that get there usually around 4.30pm and just wait in line.....with quite a few others!

Happy to help more if possible

Enjoy the planning: its 75% of the fun of a trip!

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 13:13
So, I've decided to tackle my planning again after a headache around planning. I've also talked to my partner!

We will most likely now being doing 20 days of travel in Japan, and start off in Osaka. Spend 5 nights there before transferring to Tokyo for the rest of the trip.

We decided to switch it around to avoid the hassle of travelling for a while to our flight on the last day and slot in an extra day for the travel between osaka back to tokyo.

So, yay!!!

But will definitely need to start researching costs.

Thank you, AusTF about the suggestion. We are huge theme park enthuastics and we really keen on doing the one in Kawaguchicko. Being whipped around miles in the air has always been our kind of romance. I love them. He loves them.

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 17:59
Hi out there, I didn't really want to start a new topic. I was hoping one of you lovely people can let me know some more information about two places.

I just looked in Kabukicho. I was thinking of adding as a place to go to during our trip (during the day). I just read it is an area with a lot of love hotels and hassling. Is it worth seeing at all?

I'm also really keen on going to Pierre Herme in Shinjuku. Has anyone been?
http://www.pierreherme.co.jp/

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 18:20
Another quick question. I just need some opinions and reviews on

Osaka Aquarium versus Sumida Aquarium. Are both good? I didn't even find Sumida Aquarium in my previous searches until now so I just want to see if it might be worth including.

Re: Need some planning advice about Japan 2015/3/2 23:46
Hi

Re your current schedule for Kyoto:

This plan doesn't make logistical sense. You would pretty much be visiting 4 completely different areas of Kyoto and wasting your precious time.

Better to do:
Day 17: Kinkaku-ji (makes sense to also include Ryoan-ji & Ninnaji temple too) & Arashiyama
Day 18: Eikan-Do, Gion, Kiyomizu-Dera & Fushimi Inari
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread