Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/2 17:40
Hello, we are a family of 5 people - 2 adults and 3 teenage children 17, 17 and 11yrs old (all with suitcases) arriving at Narita Airport Terminal 2 on Friday morning 6.20am 27th March.

We are catching the NEX train to Tokyo and then transferring on the Yamanote line to Ikebukuro station where our hotel is located.

Do we get on the train and risk getting stuck in peak hour rush from Tokyo station, or do we hang around the airport and leave after 8am.

At the airport we will need to exchange our JR rail vouchers and also pick up our Pocket wifi (already ordered). I was think ing of maybe also having a Shower at 9hours, but I don't know if they will also let our teenage children in?

Can anybody help?

Thank you so much. We are very much looking forward to our visit to Japan!!

by Florence in Melbourne (guest)  

Re: NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/2 18:09
Hello,

An alternative to beat the morning crowd is to take the Airport Limousine(You need to inform the ticket counter the hotel that you are staying) which will bring you directly to Ikebukuro with no transfers required. The cost per pax is 3000Yen.

Cheers!

by Happytraveler (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/2 18:11
Some N'EX trains go direct to Ikebukuro.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/2 18:12
Hello and thanks,

We already have JR Rail passes and as there are 5 of us, the limousine buses will cost us approx. $150.

We will definitely be travelling on the NEX train, but I will need to think about whether we risk travelling during rush hour or not.
by Florence in Melbourne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/2 18:14
Some N'EX trains go direct to Ikebukuro.

Do I ask at the booking counter for direct trains? Sorry, I'm not sure how to ensure we get on the right train.

Re: NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/2 18:38
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/2 18:40
8:16 and 8:53 departures go direct to Ikebukuro.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/2 18:41
Thank you Firas and AK,

Both of your suggestions have been very helpful. :)

Re: NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/3 05:29
When you exchange your passes, book your seats to Ikebukuro at the same time. It makes life easy not having to change trains, especially at rush-hour with luggage.

It will be faster, and less stress, even if you have to wait a while for the next direct train.

(also, I find the train a lot more pleasant than the bus)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: NEX Narita 2 to Ikebukuro during rush hour? 2015/3/3 10:28
I never found Tokyo morning rush to be that bad. We travelled on NEX and transfered to go to Ikebukuro too and had not problem with two bags and a 5 year old. We also then travelled often in the morning and evening peak and occasionally had to stand but often a seat would be found for our 5 year old son.
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread