Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Humanities Visa Expiry Date 2015/3/3 21:27
Hi guys,

I've just received my work visa (Humanities/International Services) from the embassy today. On my passport where the visa is printed, the expiry date is 3 months from the starting date (Feb-May 2015). On the bottom of the date, however, it's written that my length of stay is 1 year.

Is this a misprint, or does this mean that the visa is valid for 3 months, and in that period of time I have to enter Japan and obtain my residency card (for 1 year's stay)?

Please enlighten me, thank you in advance.

P/s. I've tried asking the lady at the embassy, unfortunately the answer she gave me wasn't satisfactory (like she was brushing me off as it was near closing time), and all she told me was "Look at the COE. it says 1 year", and she kept emphasizing on that without actually answering my question.

Hope you guys with experience can shed some light on this.
by rubdub (guest)  

Re: Humanities Visa Expiry Date 2015/3/4 09:12
does this mean that the visa is valid for 3 months, and in that period of time I have to enter Japan and obtain my residency card (for 1 year's stay)?

This is correct. Visa is like an "entry permission," so if the visa is valid for 3 months, it means you need to enter Japan during that period.

Once you have entered Japan, you will be on Humanities "resident status."
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Humanities Visa Expiry Date 2015/3/4 10:13
As above. Your documents are all correct. The term visa is misused a lot, even in this forum.
A Japanese visa is an entry document that requests a particular status on entry.
Single use visa (like yours) are usually valid for 3 months. When you enter Japan they are cancelled (so you can't reenter on the visa).
Instead you are granted a residency status. This will be for 1 year as specified and be from the date of entry (not the date of visa issue).
You will get a landing permission seal in your passport and a zairyu card at the airport. If you extend or change your residency status, only the card will be updated, no further stickers in your passport.
If you want to leave the country, you will be able to re-enter using a re-entry permit (special or normal) within your residency status validity so a visa isn't required again for re-entry.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Humanities Visa Expiry Date 2015/3/4 19:03
Thanks for the clarification! Much appreciated.
by rubdub (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread