Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for 1-2 week in Japan 2015/3/4 11:24
Hi guys. So I'm just doing itinerary for my next visit to Japan. Been there this year, only to Tokyo for a few days.

So I'm planning to go maybe next year, or the following year, during Winter. (I dunno, but I always like winter, maybe because i'm from tropical country? :P)

So here's my questions:

1) What is the recommended itinerary for 1 week if I wish to cover Japan from South to North?

2) What about for 2 week?

3) Any suggestion for off-the-track attraction? I'm thinking of Awaji Island and Aoshima Island. Any other place worth visiting during winter?

4) Japan Rail Pass will cover ALL JR train, right?

Thanks guys. Any helps are appreciated.
by Kuro Syamito  

Re: Itinerary for 1-2 week in Japan 2015/3/4 22:17
Here is the suggested Itineraries page from Japan-Guide:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html

As for your other question about the JR Pass:

The JR Pass covers almost all JR train travel, and some bus travel, and the ferry to Miyajima Island.

Now for the "almost all" part...

There are train tracks owned by private companies at JR uses, and JR has to pay a fee to use them. JR Pass holders can ride the trains that go over these tracks, but have to pay the surcharge. There are others, but the ones that I have had to pay a surcharge on were:

Nagoya to KiiKatsurra
Kyoto to Amanohashidate
Shinjuku(JR) to Tobu-Nikko

Another exception is fist class seats, unless you purchase a green pass, you are limited to regular seats.

The final exception is for sleeper trains, and private cars, you will need to pay a surcharge to use these. The exception to this rule is the Nobi-Nobi berths on some sleeper trains, these are covered by a regular and green JR Pass.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 1-2 week in Japan 2015/3/5 08:31
Hi Kuro
To answer your questions:

1) What is the recommended itinerary for 1 week if I wish to cover Japan from South to North?

It would be hard to cover Japan South to North in one week. What I would recommend for 1 week:
I would go with a base in Kyoto or Osaka next to JR station with Day trips out. I suggest you fly into KIX airport.
Get the pass below
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_kansai_hokuriku.html

Day 1 -2 Kyoto, night life/after 5pm Osaka
Day 3 Okayama or/and Himeji
Day 4 Day Trip to Kanazawa
Day 5 Kyoto or Nara
Day 6 Your Choice
Day 7 Fly back

2) What about for 2 week?

14 Day JR Pass then traveling up from Hakata airport in Fukuoka, Kyushu

Fly into Fukuoka and go from there to visit the following cities headed south to North Fukuoka to Hiroshima to Okayama to Himeji to Osaka to Kyoto to Tokyo to Nikko to(optional) Hokkaido. This would be a very fast paced to see each city listed above but you would see a lot. You could also cut out and add based on places you want to see.

4) Japan Rail Pass will cover ALL JR train, right?

Yes, but sometimes the places you might want to go may use non-JR tracks or JR trains may take longer to get there (especially if you are off the beaten track. Always good to check.) With some exceptions it is usually safe to say that all JR trains are covered fully by the pass.

Hope this helps. Just one person's opinion
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 1-2 week in Japan 2015/3/5 09:40
If you like snow you will love the Sapporo Snow Festival which is held one week in every February. It's the best snow festival in the country, followed by another festival in Hokkaido, Asahikawa Winter Festival. There's also the Tokamachi Snow Festival in Niigata, held in late February. If you want to come earlier (eg: December), it is a good time to see light displays held in many cities especially Tokyo and Osaka. You may also like visiting West Japan as it is 'snow country'. A great attraction is Shirakawa-go in Gifu prefecture which gets some of the heaviest snowfall in Japan.
by jennjett rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 1-2 week in Japan 2015/3/5 10:21
A week in japan is surprisingly short - a couple of locations only, or else you spend too much time changing accommodation.

Two weeks is better, but you'll still only hit a few spots. I would recommend you Work out what you want to do first and then pick some spots to include. Eg, off the beaten track, or cities.

For example, Nagasaki in Kyushu and then heading up the west coast is an interesting trip. If you want snow/mountains, head through Takayama or Matsumoto. Getting to Hokkaido takes a long time, but Aomori is not too far.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 1-2 week in Japan 2015/3/6 18:04
oh thank you everyone for the suggestion. I do think that 1 week is a bit too short, and even with 2 week is still a bit short. maybe i'll return on other time to pick up where i left off.

have any of you went to awaji? i heard that since it is in the south, so the winter is a bit mild and still can see flowers and such. is it true?
by Kuro Syamito rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 1-2 week in Japan 2015/3/7 05:32
If you want to see flowers, then spring is a far better time - or if you really want winter, make it very late winter. The Awaji Hanasajiki is extraordinary and you'll be amazed.
The Seto Inland Sea has many hidden gems you can explore if you like.
Onomichi in Hiroshima Prefecture is an often bypassed place with its temple tour through narrow streets, as well as one of Japan's most unusual and mind-blowing temples, Kosanji:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Q5EjEOXI8

And if you want to get off the beaten trail, why not see Shikoku - it is often neglected by travelers and has many good places, like Kotohira with its trek up the mountain to stunning views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ley9rVIewoQ

In Yamaguchi, the Akiyoshido limestone tunnel is Japan's finest and will really impress - plus it's good in any season.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread