Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Citizenship (dual or not dual) 2015/3/5 12:19
I am 25 years old as of this post. My father is Japanese and my mother is Filipino. They split when I was 10 years old and have not been on Japanese land since then. I also have not been able to speak with both parents regarding my citizenship.

To enroll in school, I used two "things": my Japanese passport (expired 2004) and a certificate of recognition (recognizing me as Filipino), in replacement of a birth certificate as required here in the Philippines. I started working 2008 and used the same papers.

These two papers got me by perfectly fine until November of 2012 when my bag got stolen and i lost those papers.

I recently acquired my Koseki tohon and my current company requires me to give them a translated version of this. Since I found out from these forums here that there is no such thing as a dual citizen, I am afraid of the consequences not taking any actions regarding my citizenship.

I have a lot of questions and hopefully get some enlightenment:

- I got my koseki tohon 10/14/2014 and I believe I am still there (not crossed out or anything), so am I a Japanese citizen even if I did not declare my choice when I was 22?

- I don't really know how to read my koseki tohon, so can someone translate this for me? I saw a site that can translate this for a fee but its too expensive for me.

- I want to get my Japanese passport soon because they said the koseki tohon is valid for 6 months only. Will they question why I only re-applied for a passport now? Will I get in trouble? Can I even get a Japanese passport without my old expired passport?

I am so sorry for the long post and I really hope I get a response.
by ladyviruz15  

Re: Citizenship (dual or not dual) 2015/3/5 15:10
Your Japanese citizenship doesn't automatically disappear eventhough you are turning 22 yrs old.

The govt of Japan suggests you to show the "Best efforts" to decide which nationality you want to choose. There is no penalty on this, thus, you still have a Japanese citizenship, but, the govt of Japan doesn't permit to hold a dual or multiple citizenship once you turn in 22 yrs old.

The staff or secretary of embassy of Japan in the Philippines may ask you why you want to obtain a Japanese citizenship at the age of 25.
This is because you have already the Philippines passport or citizenship. Once you have obtained your Japanese citizenship = passport, you can't hold your Philippines citizenship.

To obtain a Japanese passport in Philippines, you may ask to prove your Japanese residency certificate(Jumin-hyo) that you live in Japan. This is unsure but I guess the embassy asks you to prove your current Japanese address eventhough you have an expired Japanese passport.

I can read your Koseki-tohon but it's also printed your very very personal details so I recommend you not to ask someone to read it for you, ask a Japanese lawyer or someone who can read it legally.

The detail on Koseki-tohon is not so much things listed. Where you are born and when, where your Koseki was registered, who and when the koseki was registered, your guardian's name, the relationship betwen your guardian and you, whether you are adopted or not, etc.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Citizenship (dual or not dual) 2015/3/5 19:00
I got my koseki tohon 10/14/2014 and I believe I am still there (not crossed out or anything), so am I a Japanese citizen even if I did not declare my choice when I was 22?

Yes, you're still Japanese.

I want to get my Japanese passport soon because they said the koseki tohon is valid for 6 months only. Will they question why I only re-applied for a passport now? Will I get in trouble? Can I even get a Japanese passport without my old expired passport?

No, no, and yes. You're still Japanese so you can get a passport. They will ask about your Philippines citizenship and you should tell the truth. It's okay, they'll still give you a passport.

Don't worry about juminhyo or proof of Japanese address. They will not ask for it.

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Citizenship (dual or not dual) 2015/3/6 05:03
No, I never had a filipino passport nor have i applied for it..

Thank you so much for your replies. ^_^v
by ladyviruz15 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread