Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass 2015/3/5 23:18
Hi,

Was wondering, from my research and understanding, that additional fees must be paid for JR Pass holder riding on JR trains traveling on non-JR tracks.

Am traveling from Kyoto to Osaka, and Hyperdia gave me the option to get on the LTD. EXP SUPER HAKUTO 3.

Based on my research, i have to pay an additional fee for this train if i use my JR Pass. Is this correct?

And could any of you advice me on what other JR trains travelling on non-JR tracks that i should know? or refer me to a link with said info?

Another question, how do i use my JR Pass if traveling on the Osaka Loop Line or Yamanote Line (i.e. JR trains other than the shinkansen), do i simply need to go through the manned gate each time i enter and exit a station?

Any info is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Melati Karina
by melatikarina  

Re: JR Pass 2015/3/6 11:39
Ltd Exp Hakuto is a JR train on a JR line: no problems with JR Pass, so no extra fees. You can even reserve a seat for free.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2368.html
lists the areas of concern.
On the Osaka Loop line, and Yamanote line, yes, go through the manned gates: usually to one side of the ticket gates, and show your pass, so the date validity is easily seen, to the person on the manned gate. Very easy.
Enjoy!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Show your pass 2015/3/6 12:12
"... show your pass, so the date validity is easily seen, to the person on the manned gate. Very easy."
TIP:
Don't pause unless he says something. If there are people in front of you talking to him, just pass behind them and keep going. Make sure you hold up the pass so he can see the date.
If you are pulling rolling luggage, you will have to stop.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2015/3/9 13:24
Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.
by melatikarina rate this post as useful

reply to this thread