Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan - junior high school 2015/3/5 23:58
So I will move to Japan from the Netherlands. i don't speak Japanese yet but I will take courses soon.

Can i go to a local public junior high school in Japan?

Ill move because of my dads job and international school is too expensive.
by Lisa (guest)  

Re: Moving to Japan - junior high school 2015/3/6 12:21
Local state schools(Government-funded) are taught in Japanese all classes.
If you can't speak Japanese, you can't study there.
You better to complete your secondary education in the Netherlands.
Some prefectural international high schools can be taught partly in English. But mostly taught in Japanese.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan - junior high school 2015/3/6 12:43
You can legally enroll in Japanese junior high school because it's required education and they can't say no, but they don't give much second language support and so you'd need a lot of outside help, tutors, etc.

Getting into high school would be more difficult because you would have to pass the exam.

If you're moving for your dad's work, his company should be able to give him advice on how to handle your schooling. You may be able to do study by correspondence course or you might qualify for scholarships to an international school.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan - junior high school 2015/3/6 17:40
Don't worry about it. Yes, you can go to a local public junior high school in Japan, because it is compulsory. In fact, you must go to your local public junior high school unless your parents are providing alternative education for you.

And indeed there is support for foreign students. Due to the increase of teenagers (be it Japanese and non-Japanese) growing up abroad, there is high awareness. Your school is supposed to provide support, but you can also discuss that with your local city hall for some voluntary help.

If your parents have a choice, try to choose an area you think you'd be most comfortable in.

Hope you have fun, and try to have fun!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan - junior high school 2015/3/6 23:24
Lisa - I no longer live in Japan but I used to work at an international school in Japan and have taught quite a few students who have transferred from local schools as a result.

There may be some schools which will support you learning Japanese - but I do think that you will find it quite challenging as Japanese school are VERY DIFFERENT that European schools. I should know - I've taught quite a few Dutch kids such as yourself.

If the cost of International Schools is a problem - then get your parents to look at Indian Schools. As you will expect - almost all of the students will be Indian and the facilities (what the school has and looks like) will not be as nice as the international schools or schools at home. However - the schools are a fraction of the cost and all lessons (apart from second language) should be in English. The quality of the education is also reasonable and may even be a little better than some of the lower quality international schools.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread