Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/6 12:15
Hi, please help me
I'm planning to go to Tokyo on 26 Nov - 7 Dec. We arrive there on 27 Nov and back on 7 Dec early in the morning. We are a newleywed couple and having our honeymoon there. Can you suggest where should I visit best on that month? I'm excited to see the autumn season.

We are planning to go to Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nara? (is it worthed?), Kobe?. I'm planning to get the JR 7 days pass too since we are in and out from Tokyo. When is the best to activate it? And when is the Kyoto Illumination?
Thank you very much for your help.
by Ellysa (guest)  

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/6 16:47
Illumination of several Kyoto sites (as advised on websites) is during autumn. Those dates are getting towards the end of the season, but should still be good for Arashiiyama and Kodaiji (to name to possibilities. Nara is good as a day trip from Kyoto.

If you are going to Tokyo, maybe reconsider Osaka (another large city).

Hiroshima can be done as day trip, but there are some good hotels there- if you are honeymooning, you might want a bit of well priced luxury - I can think of a few nice options.

Using a 7-day pass, I'm guessing you are thinking you would probably do the loop to Kyoto/Hiroshima one of those weeks and Tokyo the other.

by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/6 19:15
Japan Custom Tours, thank you for your reply.

Is it several spots we can see the Illumination in Kyoto? Or there is any specific date when the show is? I don't want to miss it.

What about Kobe? Is it only the Kobe beef that was recommended?

Which is the best? Make Osaka as a base or Kyoto? To travel to Nara, Hiroshima and Kobe.
How about Mount Fuji? Is it visible during autumn?

Yes, that means I have to buy the 7 day JR Pass, right?
by Ellysa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/7 01:26
If I understand correctly, illuminations are held when the leaves are at their best, so dates will be different each year. You can see dates for 2014 in the following link:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3953.html

Kyoto gets very crowded during autums leaves season, so you'll probably have to wait in line to enter temples that do illuminations. City buses also get crowded so getting around takes longer than usual. That said, it's a great place (and time) to visit, just be prepared to take it slowly.
by TxF rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/7 01:50
Wow thank for the info TxF. I've been looking for the date or approximate date. Thank you very much.

Is it gonna be very crowded? What do you suggest us to? Osaka or kyoto as a base? I don't really like waiting up for the long line. Lol.

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/7 04:27
I didn't notice any particularly large crowds last year (November) in Kyoto. Arashitama is a very large place and they light up the whole hillside at night, but we were there during the day and that was still very good.

Kodaiji has a website with some more information on illumination.

Koyoto would be easier as a base - Osaka isn't on as many train lines (you need to change at Shin-Osaka to get back on the main shinkansen system), and if you have been to Tokyo, Osaka adds less than Kyoto.

Haven't been to Kobe - maybe September.

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/7 08:05
I was in Kyoto in November 2013, and Arashiyama wasnt very crowded when I visited, but Higashiyama and temples near the Philosopher's Path were. So were most of city's buses so getting from one area to another was slow and uncomfortable. Maybe things got better last year.
Just in case, I suggest starting early in the morning and getting to the first temple right at opening time. With that in mind, it would probably be better to choose Kyoto as your base. Just book your hotel early as mid to late November is peak season in Kyoto.

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/7 11:16
Okay noted Japan Custom Tours and TxF. You guys have been helping me a lot.

I'm kind of confuse with many temples in Japan. I'm planning not to go to all the temple, only the main maybe? Can you suggest which one should i include (and of course the best spot to see the autumn leaves)? (Osaka, Kyoto or Tokyo is okay)

Our have to go list for now (Kyoto):
1. Fushimi inari Shrine
2. Nara
3. Kiyomizu-dera
4. Arashiyama
5. Osaka (day trip?)

Is it possible to go to few attraction like number 1 and 3 or 4 in one day? Or you have to go to each places for 1 day full or until evening? Considering it crowded and we start in the morning.
And do they all have a JR Train to go there? Or should i buy the Kyoto pass for a several days for bus and etc?

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/7 11:20
I'm going to Miyajima as well. Is it gonna take 1 full day for it? Thank you.

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/7 19:27
I would add a few sights to your Kyoto list:

1.Kinkakuji
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3908.html
2.Ryoanji
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3909.html
3.Ginkakuji
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3907.html
4.Gion
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3902.html

To get a better understanding of where the main sights are, as well as advice for getting around Kyoto, take a look at this link:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html
Basically, Kinkakuji and Ryoanji are northwest from Kyoto station, Arashiyama is also NW but further out, Ginkakuji is northeast, Gion and Kiyomizudera are east, and Fushimi Inari is to the south.

Fushimi Inari and Nara can be visited on the same day by JR train. You can also get to Arashiyama by JR, but most other sights in Kyoto are best accessed by bus. One day buss pass makes sense if you plan to take 3 or more bus rides in a day.

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/7 19:41
Miyajima shouldn't take more than half a day, unless you wish to hike to the highest peak of the island, in which case it would take a full day. Either way, it si best to visid the Itsukujima shrine during high tide, so check the tide charts to see at what time you should arrive.
Miyajima also has some nice autumn colors, especially in Daisho-in temple and in Momijidani park, but they might be past their peak at the time you visit. Japan-guide.com posts autumn color reports every year so you can see where the best colors are.
Also, if you are going to Miyajima, you should consider stopping for a few houres at Himeji. The castle is probably the best in Japan, and there is a really interesting garden right next to the castle grounds (Koko-en). You can easily see Miyajima, Himeji and Hiroshima in two days, but that means you'll have to spend the night either in Hiroshima or Miyajima.

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/8 01:05
Have you booked your ticket & hotel. If you have not, better be fast.
I booked our tickets 2/3/15 for Osaka (via SQ, since with current promotion, it is S$794) Immediately look for hotel, though I have not been plan how many days to spend in Osaka, Kyoto etc.
I thought I was early, unfortnately, I'm late !
It is so hard to get a room at Hotel Granvia, Kyoto & Osaka.
by yaha88 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/8 03:00
I'll add a few from your recommendation TxF. Thanks for helping me.

From what you say, Kyoto seems to have a lot sight seeing than Tokyo? How about the food there? Do you have any recommendation there (Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto)?
Will i able to see Mt.Fuji if i go to Hakone in early december?

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/8 03:07
Yaha88, i have booked the ticket. I miss the SQ promotion and i regret it until now. I'm late within 1 day only.. oh my god wish could buy it earlier. I'm flying from Indonesia and the price to Tokyo, Narita is almost the same as yours. Really really regret it until now.

What do you prefer to book the hotel? Travel, agoda or direct hotel website?
I've searched a few hotel in agoda and yes there are many (favourite hotel) that not available anymore.. is it because the hotel is fully booked or maybe it's too early to book now?
When do you go to Japan?

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/8 08:58
I wouldn't say that Kyoto has more sights or that it's more interesting than Tokyo, it all depends on what you like.
I'm not sure I can recommend any restaurants, I usually just find a restaurant nearby when I need to eat so I don't even know the names of most of the restaurants I eat in. Restaurants and shops are everywhere so it's not hard to find food when you need it.
I haven't been to Hakone, but I have seen Mt. Fuji a few times from shinkansen, which passes further away from the mountain. It all depends on the weather. If it's raining or there are a lot of clouds, you might not be able to see it, even from Hakone. But on a nice and clear day, you should be able to see it. Good news is that your chances are better in autumn and winter, so good luck!

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/3/9 09:55
Some booking sites and hotels only make rooms available six months in advance, so you might not be able to get a favourite one yet.

As for food in Kyoto (or anywhere), there are some very good options. We have some friends that share their local knowledge, but there is the usual good variety and quality easily available - (thinks about Japanese BBQ - mmmmm)

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/11/4 16:35
Hi, i wanna ask you guys again :p

My trip is coming though. If i want to visit Mt. Fuji 1 day only should i buy the mt fuji hakone pass? or can i just use any regular suica to go there? I saw there's a lot of tours too. Which is best hakone or lake kawaguchiko? How about the transportation there?
i am considering to take the gondola or kachi kachi ropeway.. which is more recommended?

Thanks for anyone who's replying

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/11/5 14:10
kyoto colours will be finished by the 3rd december hope you decided to do kyoto first and your trip will be stunning
by joybe rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/11/5 14:20
also look at web site inside kyoto walking itinaries good info about how much you can get done in a day, and hyperdia for train routes and timetables
by joybe rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary 12 days in Japan 2015/11/5 16:44
Considering that Kyoto would still be green for a while longer, the peak for autumn may come later. To play it safe, I would recommend going to Kyoto before Tokyo.

For sights between Kyoto and Tokyo, I much more prefer Kyoto. The peacefulness and the way the locals lead their lives are what I feel is the embodiment of Zen. It makes me feel at peace too. The sites in Kyoto are very cultural and you would be hard pressed to have 'entertainment', especially after hours.
Tokyo is much larger and has many department stores that individually could make any shopper crazy. Also there are more trendy cafes and the skyscrapers can awe you.

With regard to food, I much prefer Kyoto due to the prices being less. The restaurants in Tenryuji Temple and Ryoanji temple are places to try local Kyoto cuisine. The Yutofu restaurants outside Arashiyama Raiden station opposite Tenryuji's main entrance is great too. For the best Katsudon try KatsuKara, they have a number of stores throughout Kyoto one of which is on the high floor of Kyoto City Station Mall.

Tokyo has many small eateries but this is a dying trade :(
If you can find one, Gogogogo.

Lastly, Ichiran Ramen is not to be missed. Found in Osaka and Kyoto. Just ask the tourist info of that city of building for assistance. Japanese are helpful people after all.

Lake Kawaguchiko is better recommended. But if only a daytrip Hakone has the Hakone Pass available. If you can book a one day tour from your hotel's concierge, it makes things even better. So I recommend to go to your concierge, and if there are no availability than go ahead and get the Hakone Pass.

Miyajima can be seen in half a day. Best to see both high & low tides and with & without the sun. The night views with the illuminations are especially romantic.

If you can book the hotel at Kyoto since it has much sights. But considering the time, I doubt any hotels have availability.

Popular sights from night illumination during autumn season includes:
Takao
Chono-in
Eikando
Kiyomizudera
Fushimi Inari

It usually takes 20-30 minutes of waiting time to enter. You can probably see two such places in a night.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

reply to this thread