Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Goshuin and Buddhist Sects 2015/3/8 07:11
I'll be excited to try and fill 御朱印帳 on my next trip to Japan soon. I adore temples and shrines and along with other historical sites, they are my favourite places to visit. I'm so annoyed I didn't know about ご朱印 on my first trip!

My friend told me to be careful not to ask for stamps at 浄土真宗 and 日蓮正宗 sects which, of course I'm fine with. Shin-Buddhism is particularly popular, right?

What I'm struggling with, is how to easily identify which sect of Buddhism a temple belongs to? Or is it just a case of asking someone (where possible) and if so, what do I say?

For Shinto shrines, do I also need to be mindful of any places where I shouldn't ask?

Any and all help is very appreciated!
by nimotsu (guest)  

Re: Goshuin and Buddhist Sects 2015/3/8 08:01
What I'm struggling with, is how to easily identify which sect of Buddhism a temple belongs to?

I don't think there is an easy way besides reading about the temple (in its pamphlet, the internet or the explanatory sign in front of it). Sometimes the sect name is written on the entrance sign in Japanese.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Goshuin and Buddhist Sects 2015/3/9 00:12
I've never heard that the Shin-Buddhist sects don't do shuuin... but then, I don't differentiate between the sects when I visit a temple. I usually just look for the sign, and if there isn't one, ask someone if they do shuuin. I've never been to a shrine or temple that didn't do them, unless they were so small there wasn't anybody there to begin with.

So don't worry about it; look for the shuuin sign, and if you can't find it, feel free to ask. No one is going to get angry about it, they'll just say "sorry, we can't do it" and that's that.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Goshuin and Buddhist Sects 2015/3/10 02:43
Yeah, I'll be looking at any information or for signs that are available.

Thankyou for your replies!
It's put my mind at ease~
by nimotsu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Goshuin and Buddhist Sects 2015/3/19 23:22
Hi, do the Shuin books differ from one temple to the next?
I love getting seals and stamps, but didn't know about this being practiced in Japan.. so already missed out on a Itsukushima and TodaJi!
by joe4broke rate this post as useful

Re: Goshuin and Buddhist Sects 2015/3/19 23:30
joe, yes, many temples sell the books, and they are usually stamped with the temple name and/or have specific designs. You can also buy generic ones online.

Personally, I like Ise Jingu's purple book and bag the best: http://blog-imgs-31.fc2.com/s/h/i/shinchirorin/2010022618035641a.jpg

But lots of people like the books from Yabo tenmangu in Kunitachi: http://images.keizai.biz/tachikawa_keizai/headline/1249266378_photo.jp...

by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread