Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arashiyama Bamboo Grove and Tenryu-ji Temple 2015/3/22 12:44
http://imgur.com/45O7nCi

Do I have to walk all around this path (see blue walking path) or can I cut across from where the X is marked? I have a tight schedule and wanted to see if I can make this a bit shorter.

I was going to do the following:

Start the day by heading to the west side of the city: Arashiyama.
In Arashiyama, visit Tenryu-ji Temple (blue circle on map) and the adjoining Arashiyama Bamboo Grove, then return quickly to the main street of Arashiyama (in front of Tenryu-ji). Be here by 8:20AM
From here, head to the northwest corner of the city to visit Kinkaku-ji Temple (the famed “Golden Pavilion”). A taxi from Arashiyama to Kinkaku-ji will take around 20 minutes and cost around Y1900.
Explore Kinkau-Ji Temple -Be here before 9AM (opens at 9)
Take 12 Bus to Shijo Karasuma station (bus goes towards Higashiyama Sanjo/Gion)
Walk through Nishi Market - Grab a snack, get green tea or any thing else we want to buy. Be done before 11:00AM
Exit out East side of market and get back on Shijo Dori and walk to Kawaramachi station to catch 17 Bus to Ginkakuji-michi Stop (Bus goes towards Kinrin Shako-Mae)
Walk down Inadegawa to Higashiyama/ Ginkaku-ji Temple
After visiting Ginkaku-ji, exit the temple and walk south along the Path of Philosophy to Nanzen-ji Temple (about 25 minutes at a good clip).
Visit Nanzen-ji Temple and then walk west to Jingu-michi. Turn left (south) on Jingu-michi, cross Sanjo-dori, pass Shoren-in Temple and then enter Chion-in Temple via the enormous San-mon Gate.
Eat at Izuju
Exit Chion-in to the left, walk down Higoshi Oji Dori to Izuju (eat here) (must have Sabazushi and Inarizushi) but have a sample plate ~$40-60 - Cant make reservation
Walk to Camellia Tea House for Tea Ceremony (349 Masuya-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, 6050826) (see extra image next to map) $20pp hourly on the hour until 5pm
Walk to Kiyomizu-dera Temple. Closes at 4PM
Walk to Kiyomizu Gojo station.
Take any Keihan train except a tokkyu (limited express) and take it to Fushimi-Inari Station. From here, it’s a short walk to Fushimi-Inari Taisha Shrine. It does not close, always open, but it might be best to see at sunset. IF walking, do not hike further than Yotsutsuji intersection.
Visit Shrine, sight seeing tour is over.
Walk back to Fushimi Inari Station and take train to Sanjo Station
Should be turning dark by now: Walk down Pontacho Ally
Eat at Nishiki Warai near the Nishiki Market (west side)
by Mukur  

Re: Arashiyama Bamboo Grove and Tenryu-ji Temple 2015/3/24 11:54
Short cut from X possible just entering north exit[北口 kita-guchi] of shrine.
http://goo.gl/maps/uPGMb
by TFSV (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama Bamboo Grove and Tenryu-ji Temple 2015/3/24 13:13
Sorry to intrude on your thread but I'm just wondering, how did you manage to plan your walking trip in so much detail? Even if I use Google maps with walking directions, it's all in Kanji.
by Moocakes rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama Bamboo Grove and Tenryu-ji Temple 2015/3/24 16:08
Tenryuuji opens 8:30am. Visit the bamboo grove anytime. It will be easier from Torokko Arashiyama station to walk down hill to Tenryuuji north gate unless you just want see some bamboos. It is a long walk through Tenryuuji property and also long path from the main gate to the street.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama Bamboo Grove and Tenryu-ji Temple 2015/3/24 22:38
Thanks guys. Ill look into that.

To plan the trip in extreme detail, i just add my destinations in google maps and then put it on walk mode. Drag the path around.

Keep in mind that you cant mix modes in general (car, public transport, walking). So do it in chunks.
by Mukur rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama Bamboo Grove and Tenryu-ji Temple 2015/3/24 22:45
The reason I am going through that stop is because I staying at the Mitsui Garden Hotel Shijo, and from here the closest and quickest rail line I can take is from shijoomiya station.

Ill probably cut over the north entrance in that case.

Thanks again

Re: Arashiyama Bamboo Grove and Tenryu-ji Temple 2015/3/25 10:27
Tenryuji Garden needs a good ten minutes to fully explore. And another 10 to 15 to be immersed in it.

Walking from Tenryuji deeper into the bamboo grove has better views than out into the main road.
From the deeper parts of the bamboo grove, there is a train that can take you to Arashiyama JR if that is your fancy.

From Arashiyama, you can take the tram car the Kinkakuji. It is not as fast as a taxi but cheaper and still within the hour.

I always recommned Fushimi Inari after sunset not at sunset.
Besides, this I would recommend using Keihan to enter Fushimi Inari and JR to exit. Just to how different views. Keihan goes through small streets in a residential area, whereas JR is right in front of the main walkway to the grand entrance.

Choice of eateries is a thumbs up.
I personally like Tenryuji's garden restaurant but that is only open for lunch/dinner so nevermind that.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama Bamboo Grove and Tenryu-ji Temple 2015/3/26 10:50
Appreciate the write up. ill have to look into the tram for sure.

reply to this thread