Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/3/23 19:53
Hello,

I will be 18-22 weeks pregnant when I go to Japan in May this year for a holiday and have been told by my regular hospital (I am from/live in the UK) that I will miss the window for the 20 week anomaly ultrasound scan in England. This scan usually gives you a much clearer idea if your baby will have defects in addition to revealing the gender.

As my hospital have advised to get the scan in Japan, I wanted to see if anyone had any information about cost of the scan and pictures at a hospital for a foreigner (British national) with an English-speaking doctor in Tokyo (we will be staying in Ueno from Friday 15 - Monday 18 May) or Kyoto (we will be staying near Karasumaoike from Monday 18 - Thursday 21 May). Also, how far in advance would we book the appointment?

Any help would be absolutely fantastic!

Thanks,

Tanya
by Pangd  

Re: Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/3/24 19:11
Ask here
http://www.tmsc.jp/index.htm

The cost will be an extremely high.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/3/24 19:53
Thanks for the link! That's my worry sadly...
by Pangd rate this post as useful

Re: Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/3/25 00:43
Do you have any friends in Tokyo who can help you with making a reservation?

One option is to try at big govt hospitals, usually they have translators available.
You would end up spending whole day because it would be your first time, cost could be anywhere between 10,000 to 25,000 yen.

Private English speaking hospitals would be a rip-off

You may want to check the Tokyo Pregnancy group on FB which is a big network of expecting foreign mother in Tokyo, You would get better suggestion in that forum.
by kb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/3/25 04:21
Unfortunately we don't have any friends in Tokyo. However, I definitely will give that website a go, so thank you so much for your suggestion.

I can't believe a scan could cost that much! Must appreciate our NHS in England a little more now :)

Re: Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/3/25 06:46
Pregnant in Japan normally subsidized 14 times free medical check and consultation, and one free scan. If you like to do scanning as an option, it will be costed.
And also people who do not belong to national or private health insurance(70% Govt subsidized) like you will be charged more(100% self payment).
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/3/25 08:48
It makes sense charging 100% for a foreigner, I just didn't know the expense would be so high. Although, in honesty, I don't know how much it would cost a foreigner to have the scan done in the UK. It could well be as expensive.

I'll also look into seeing if the hospital will change their mind and just scan me in England at 22 weeks, as that would obviously be the easiest and cheapest option. But thanks for everyone's help, it'll be great to weigh up all options once I research a bit more.

Re: Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/3/26 10:31
I question if it is safe to be riding on long airlane rides with a developing baby in the womb in the first place. It contains alot of radioactivity when riding on an airplane, and the flight from U.K to Japan is really long. But its up to you if you want to take that risk, and also about not being able to go to your ultrasound appointment at week 20.
by babyconcern (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/3/26 22:56
I have checked with my doctor, midwife, travel insurance and airline. They have all given the ok, especially as my pregnancy is uncomplicated and straightforward. I have flown to Japan a couple of times before and am well aware of the flight length.

In addition, my hospital have allowed me to take a 22 week scan and I've booked an appointment to see them as soon as we get back.

Re: Ultrasound scan in Tokyo/Kyoto for pregnancy 2015/8/21 18:24
Hi Tanya,

I will soon be travelling to Japan and will be there from 9-13 weeks pregnant. As I will be away at the 12 week point, I will have the 12 week scan as soon as I am back in the UK, but I have been advised to try and get a scan at 12 weeks while in Japan.

I just wondered what your experience of getting a scan in Japan was?

Thanks a lot!
by scaninjapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread