Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

the use of the particule ne 2015/3/24 08:12
Is the "ne" in the sentence "Anata wa neko ga suki desu ne" correct?
If so, what is it purpose and how can it be translated it to english?

Thank you for your answer.
by A.Z (guest)  

Re: the use of the particule 2015/3/24 14:45
http://blogs.transparent.com/japanese/the-ne-particle/

The sentence you are using as example uses "ne" in the first usage listed in this explanation. "You like cats, right?"
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: the use of the particule 2015/3/24 17:26
"ne" can be referred to "isn't it" "aren't you/they".
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: the use of the particule 2015/3/24 19:33
There is a large amount of linguistics literature about what sentence-final ne and yo actually mean, and the question is not totally settled.

The basic analysis is that by using ne, the speaker implies that the information given in the sentence is already known to the hearer, hence the usual "canned" translations of "right?" or "isn't it?", which may or may not make sense in a particular situation (because translation is an art, not a science). Generally, the purpose of "stating the obvious" with ne is to ask for confirmation, or just for small talk. If the implication is not true (that is, if the hearer was in fact not aware of that information), it may be rude since the hearer can get the embarrassing impression that he doesn't know something he is supposed to know.

Yo is the opposite: it implies that the speaker is giving new information to the hearer, that the hearer didn't prevously know. Again, it may be offensive to the hearer if he was in fact already aware of that information ("Is this guy taing me for a fool?"). By the way, yo ne, which is also common, is like yo but softer and less assertive.

This analysis works fine most of the time, but it fails to explain some special cases. See the very good recent book of Hasegawa for more information about this (and many other things) and some pointers to the literature if you are interested.

http://hasegawa.berkeley.edu/Cambridge/introduction.php
by Firas rate this post as useful

Thanks 2015/3/24 20:15
Thank you for your answers and the links, they were very useful.
by A.Z (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: the use of the particule 2015/3/25 03:11
"Ne" is as difficult to translate to English as translating "you know" to Japanese.

I'm afraid I can't fully agree with the other translations. If you were to say "You like cats, right?" or "You like cats, don't you?" you would usually say, "Anata wa neko ga suki nan desu ne."

It depends on the context and tone, but the first translation that comes to mind when reading "Anata wa neko ga suki desu ne" is

"You really like cats, don't you."
or
"Let me guess, you like cats, right?"

Anyway, you always need context to have it right.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread