Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A night in monastery (shukubo) on Koya-san 2015/3/25 09:22
Hello!

(This is a repost, as I've spelled the Destination :-/)

I've heard that shukubo on Koya-san could be a great experience.

I do not care so much about the conditions/food (in fact I prefer them as spartan as possible), but being a good listener and having great interest in philosophy, I do look to hear talks/discussions on philosophy or participate in rituals/training as much as possible. I understand that without really knowing Japanese this may be a problem, but still would be grateful for recommendations.

Thank You,
Simon.
by SimonSan87  

Re: A night in monastery (shukubo) on Koya-san 2015/3/26 08:12
We stayed at Komyo-in. We were the only guests and booked thru the official koyasan site. The food was excellent and the room was standard japanese style with seperate bathroom and we had access to their hot bath. The ceremony in the morning was 45 mins of two young monks chanting, lighting incense and was totally in japanese with no explanation. In some ways it was wonderful listening to the flow of the words and afterwards we had a great vegetarian breakfast.
Muryoko-in and Eko-in and other temples have a fire ceremony each morning apparently if you want something different.
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread