Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

10 Days - Tokyo - Hakone - Tokyo? 2015/3/26 03:03
Hi guys, just wanted to ask for advice. I will be in Japan from 26 Apr to 7 May.

Tentatively, my plan is to stay in Tokyo from 26 Apr - 2 May, Hakone 2 May - 4 May, Tokyo 4 May - 7 May.

I have several questions

[1] As this period crosses golden week should i avoid certain areas? will hakone be "overcrowded"? Or will it just be the same everywhere?

[2] A second question is whether it is worth going to Hakone. I'm thinking of going there because of the hot springs and a friend's recommendation but I'm not sure if its worth it? It appears that the key attractions are mostly scenic routes? And if Hakone is not that good a trip, then is there anywhere nearby that you'd recommend?

Thanks !
by Kroshaven (guest)  

Re: 10 Days - Tokyo - Hakone - Tokyo? 2015/3/26 17:13
[1] One way to check this out is to go to online hotel booking websites and see how many rooms are available for those dates. I reckon most places would be full. You might want to consider shifting Hakone to before the second or after the fifth.

[2] What is your feel of hot springs? Been to any in other parts of the world? Been to any in Japan?
Japan hot springs are generally better than other parts of the world.

Hakone hot springs has long been for people love scenery, it is not well known for the mineral properties.

There are museums and nature activities but it depends on the person. Are you not not interested in scenery? What do you want to see or do? You've got to explain your self before others can help you.

Do you want to purpose do skydiving? If so, Hakone is not the place. In fact, Japan is not ideal for such a sport.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 10 Days - Tokyo - Hakone - Tokyo? 2015/3/26 17:32
Sorry for not being clear, thanks for helping!

I haven't tried hot springs before. If I stay in Tokyo, is Oedo Onsen Monogatari a good place to try it out?

I'm quite open to anything and i'm willing to try out new stuff - scenic routes, sports, amusement parks, museums are all alright. I just don't really know which ones are worth going since I only have 10 days?

So far besides the shopping spots I've only planned on going to the Studio Ghibli Museum and the Beach Fest 2015.

My partner wants to see deer (but it seems like that would only be possible in Nara?) or cultural stuff (we heard theres a sumo tournament around that time / theres kabuki in the asakusa area) but I'm wary if we would be able to understand it properly since we do not speak japanese.
by kroshaven rate this post as useful

Re: 10 Days - Tokyo - Hakone - Tokyo? 2015/3/26 23:28
Well it's true that traditional plays like kabuki might be too heavy.

I have not been to the Onsen in oDaiba. Reason being most people review it as convenient to go to from Tokyo but not worthwhile if you are heading to other places with hot spring.

If you like culture and scenery then Kyoto is a great place to start. The modern capital of Tokyo and the ancient capital of Kyoto.
Less than an hour by train is Osaka that is said to be Japan's culinary capital.
Osaka is also famous for its night life. Unlike most other Japanese cities, eateries open till late so some tourist do sightseeing in Kyoto in the day and then Pop by Osaka at night.

Since you have 10 days you might consider a third city beside kyoto and Tokyo
It really depends on your budget and how much you can take traveling.
Japan bullet trains are really comfortable so I don't find much issue with traveling far. There's vending machines, toilets, bins, telephones, smoking corners, and a trolley lady on board.

If your travel pacs is medium to fast, you can see Kyoto in 3-4 days (with Osaka at night) and Tokyo in 3-4 days.
Nara is half a day to a full day trip from Kyoto.

That leaves 2-4 days for a third city. You can choose hakone like before. The flower field opens in May and is really pretty.
Other options include Hiroshima and Kanazawa.
Hiroshima has little to offer. Plus it's pretty far. But the few attractions it has are great. The atomic bomb museum and peace park are pretty much unique in the world. Besides Nagasaki I can't think of anywhere else that has one. Along the coast of Hiroshima is Miyajima island said to be Japan's best view. Also here there are deer. Just friendlier than the ones in Nara. Also Hiroshima has great okonomiyaki!!

Kanazawa is. Traditional place. It is big enough to be called a city and does has it conveniences. However, it is really small and easy to get around. Especially since it's attractions are practically next to each other. Kanazawa is located in a hot spring region so just outside the city are many hot spring towns. Even without the city hotels may have hot springs. Though, I would always recommend going to proper Onsen in an Onsen town if you can help it, but staying out of town does has it's inconveniences.
Kanazawa has many museums, traditional streets, old houses. It is like a compact Kyoto only that it has what is commonly considered Japan's number one landscape garden and many modern and traditional museums.

If you choose hakone. Do get a hakone free pass
If you do choose Kyoto plus another city do get a 7 day JR pass

These pass helps to save money

P.s. Both Hiroshima and Kanazawa are connected by Shinkansen to Tokyo
But Hiro requires a transfer at shin-Osaka station or some other station along the way that both Japan railways central and Japan railways west lines cross
Kanazawa does not have bullet train to Kyoto but does have a limited express that is pretty much very fast.
by JOSHUA hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 10 Days - Tokyo - Hakone - Tokyo? 2015/3/27 00:11
I was in Tokyo for a week 27 Dec to 4 Jan and visited the Oedo Onsen Monogatari. I wasn't planning to leave Tokyo, so this was my onsen experience. My sister and I walked in the outside streams and tried the Fish Therapy (terrific). Then we visited the main baths which were very relaxing. We were there the afternoon of 2 Jan and it was very crowded, but not impossibly so. Tip: don't lose your shoe locker key.
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Re: 10 Days - Tokyo - Hakone - Tokyo? 2015/3/27 01:26
Oh dear, I see. On my previous trip i did a Tokyo - Shin Osaka (Day trips to: Osaka, Nara, Miyajima, Kyoto) - Tokyo ... so, sadly, it may not be worth to go all the way up again ...

Nevertheless! Flower fields sound wonderful! And Kanazawa sounds like an ideal day trip, to soak in the culture and the onsen. :) Thank you so much for your suggestions! I'll look into them!
by kroshaven rate this post as useful

Re: 10 Days - Tokyo - Hakone - Tokyo? 2015/3/27 09:46
Kanazawa should be allocated two days.
There are many museums, a large garden, an even larger castle, really delicious food, and many onsens in the area.

For day trips, there is Noto Peninsular, Takayama, Nagano, Shirakawago, and Toyama.

So 3 to 4 days might be necessary.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread