Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Short text in Japanese 2015/3/26 03:28
今日は、私の名前は........。
私は、構造と建築デザインと日本文化に非常に興味を持っています。
敬具。

There is short text in Japanese. Could you please tell me is it correct more or less? I afraid it may sound incorrect or informal.

The meaning in English:
"Good Day, my name is ......
I am very interested in structural and architectural design.
Yours, faithfully."
by Noorr  

Re: Short text in Japanese 2015/3/26 12:48
The very first part should be こんにちは。"Konnichiwa" as a greeting is usually written in hiragana.

If you are going to close it with 敬具, the letter needs to be headed by 拝啓. These two go together. But these phrases make the whole thing sound a bit stiff and formal.

Are you just introducing yourself for the first time, or is this in response to a question? It's just that it sounds somewhat abrupt. A letter? E-mail? Is it part of a longer text?

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Short text in Japanese 2015/3/26 18:10
Hello AK and thank you for your reply and corrections.

You are right the text looks a bit abrupt.

Well, it is not the first time introduction.
The CV and my motivation letter will go along with this web portfolio (there will be links). At first the CV and the letter will be observed, later the portfolio, I belive.

If 敬具 is not going to be used because there is no 拝啓, so maybe there are some other phrases in Japanese to accomplish the text?
Something like "With the great respect to person who is reading it" or "My respect" or simply "Best regards"
by Noorr rate this post as useful

Re: Short text in Japanese 2015/3/26 18:14
In case it did not sound clear. I am going
to include this short introduction text in Japanese to my web portfolio.

Re: Short text in Japanese 2015/3/26 18:54
So I take it that this is supposed to be business communication, via e-mail, and not the first-time.

If it's business, there are standing phrases.

For opening:
お世話になっております。(Like a greeting, in a business situation.)

If you received an invitation send in an application or your portofolio, you might want to say:
ご連絡ありがとうございました。(Thank you for contacting me)

At the end:
If you are sending something for them to receive:
よろしくご査収ください。(Please accept it.)

If you are inviting them to review your CV/portofolio, you might want to say:
ご覧いただけますと光栄です。(I would be honored if you could review it.)

If you are sending something for them to review and consider (for hiring, etc.)
よろしくご検討ください。(Please consider.)

and the almighty closing phrase is:
どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

But depending on the position you are looking at, such knowledge might not be needed/expected, I don't know.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Short text in Japanese 2015/3/29 00:10
Perhaps I made you to misunderstand me, but it does not really matter because you have given me great advices. I will definitely use them. Thank you.

P. S. Actually I this communication will take place the first time. Firstly the CV and the motivation letter will be reviewed. In the end the web portfolio will be observed.

reply to this thread