Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

arrival city and photo documentary 2015/3/27 18:48
Hello,

I will be travelling in Japan for 2,5 months, from mid April till end of June.

Ifd be delighted if you could share your experience and thoughts on the following topics:

1) I like to make photo-documentaries, beyond my usual writing activity. Just finished assisting a field trip in Cambodia photographing and talking with survivors of mine explosions and demining experts for clearing land from explosive remnants of war. Meeting those people was like seeing a countryfs past and present through their eyes and hear their aspirations for the futurec It was a great experience and I am keen to do something alike to Japan!

What topics would you suggest for Japan? What overarching topic or theme is currently dominating Japanese society and media? What topics are not getting any attention but should?!

People (or a person) should be central. I am not interested in the stock market bubble, for example. This overarching common theme allows me to meet people erandomlyf and have conversations on that topic.

Another approach is to meet a specific person or small group of people i.e. a monk in a monastery or founders of animal rescue organization.

2) Where in Japan to acclimatize before travelling?

To acclimatize and further prepare my travel, I want to stay in one spot for the first weeks, probably till the end of the Golden Week (May 6). Big cities are often overwhelming me, small towns are perhaps too quiet and uneventful. A place with a historical city centre, preferably lots of pedestrian areas, and people open-minded towards foreigners.

eStart southf was the advice a few people gave me, so I'll concentrate on Kyushu Island. So far, I see Kagoshima as best candidate, with Fukuoka and Kitakyushu as runner-up. Still, what city / town would you advise me to esitf for a few weeks?

If not Kyushu island, where would you advise me to start?

Thatfs about it, looking forward to your comments!

Thanks in advance for sharing,

Wim
by WonderingWim (guest)  

Re: arrival city and photo documentary 2015/3/27 23:46
As for topics, one to consider is the aftermath of the March 11th Earthquake and Tsunami in the Tohoku region.

Many people in the hardest hit areas are still without homes and living in temporary housing. Also, those affected specifically in the Fukushima area because of the radiation from the nuclear plants. Many people's lives are still in limbo whether from the tsunami, the power plant, or both.

I think it is an obvious topic; certainly not overlooked in media in Japan today, yet still in many cases little to nothing is being done to help them.

For a good base to start off with, I really think that no matter where you go in Japan, you will find a good place; but if you're interested in Tohoku, you might as well start there! There are a wide range of areas that would fit your criteria. I can think of Sendai and Hirosaki off the top of my head as two great places that you could use as a base in the region. I also thought Oodate was a really good area as well.

Sounds like an interesting project. I wish you luck!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: arrival city and photo documentary 2015/3/29 06:49
I would visit the Sanriku Coast. Ishinomaki, Minamisanriku, Kesennuma, Rikuzentakata, Ofunato, etc. Some places still look leveled while others are showing signs of rebuilding.

It may be difficult to engage some people in discussions of a personal nature as they are personal. You may find some residents not willing to open up to foreigners, but don't be discouraged. Some people just want to move forward and forget what happened. It may be a good idea to contact local aid organizations, people 'on the ground' in these areas, and explain your project to them. They may be able to act as intermediaries and are most likely a friendly face they can trust.

I am not certain, but I think people have used the 3/11 story in the past and exploited it negatively. That may lead to resentment among the local residents and cause them not to trust your intentions.
Many good stories have come out of Tohoku and hopefully they will continue to keep the area in the spotlight.

If you wish to add a political factor to it, you can mention how the monies allocated to the restoration of the area are not being used correctly. But this is a minefield and something I would not recommend if you don't know much about politics. It may close many doors for you and get you into unwanted trouble.

Talk to relief organizations, such as Peace Boat or OGA for Aid, to name a few, and see if they can get you in touch with people that can trust you.

Good luck! Tohoku is a beautiful place and dear to my heart.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread