Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Private Tour Guide and 3 day Itinerary advice 2015/3/29 11:24
I am going to be in Kyoto from July 3-6 leaving July 6 after sunset to head to Osaka and check in a hotel there.

This means I have 3 full days in Kyoto (arriving about 3pm on July 3 so we thought we'd just shop around Teramachi for July 3). Now my plan was to get a private guide (toursbylocal) on July 4 to get my mom introduced to Japan culture first. It is her first time in Japan and I wanted her to enjoy the culture, food, shopping experience-- basically the full Kyoto package.

So my itinerary for the private guide is (in no particular order):

Nijo Castle, Sanjusangendo, Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Nishiki Market and Gion (for geiko/maiko sightings).

Is this a balanced out one-day course? Should I change other destinations and balance it out so it's not too temple-oriented? I want the tour guide to bring us to places that has a lot of Japanese culture so that we can make use of her Japanese history/culture background and learn more about Kyoto.

Also I want the guide to bring us to places I haven't navigated when I was in Kyoto for two days, last year. I will be bringing her to Ginkakuji, Path of Philosophy, Arashiyama forest and Tenryuji, Kiyomizudera, Fushimi Inari Shrine and Nanzenji the other two days we are there on my own because I thought it would be an easier task for me to navigate those.

Can you help me plan my other two days to lessen traveling back and forth? Also, take note that on our second day itinerary, we wanted to rent yukatas before touring the city (wearing yukatas) around Gion area (unless someone has a recommendation where else to rent them).

Our hotel is in Higashiyama area (Royal Park Hotel The Kyoto).

If there is still time, I would love additional suggestions that we can visit during those three days. Our interests include Japanese kimono, Japanese food, Japanese gardens and Japanese culture in general! Also, please recommend a good obanzai restaurant (no tofu restaurant because my mom doesn't like tofu) or a good soba place for lunch/dinner. Is okonomiyaki in Kyoto delicious or should I wait till we go to Osaka to try okonomiyaki?

Any advice, comment or tip will be helpful!

by miara rigawa  

Re: Private Tour Guide and 3 day Itinerary advice 2015/3/30 00:22
Hello.

Kyoto has many obansai restaurants.
Check the sites below.
http://find-travel.jp/article/4268
http://allabout.co.jp/matome/cl000000002915/

Obansai restaurant menu often include tofu dishes,but they are worth for you to eat at least once, because those dishes often taste what you cannot recognize tofu.

I hope that you and your partner will enjoy many things in Japan.
by Pembroke Welsh Corgi rate this post as useful

Re: Private Tour Guide and 3 day Itinerary advice 2015/3/30 09:55
More than balanced or not, the issue is you are bouncing from one section of the city to another. Do take note of time constraints like transport time, queues, and closing times.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Private Tour Guide and 3 day Itinerary advice 2015/3/30 10:05
Have you hired your local guide yet? It would be best to tell her/him where you want to go, where you have been before (so you don't have to be taken to those places), etc., and wait for their suggestions. Also let them know your mom's age (that might set the travel pace as well).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Private Tour Guide and 3 day Itinerary advice 2015/3/30 13:22
Hi everyone!

@Pembroke Welsh Corgi: The links were perfect! I checked them and I have narrowed it down to Mamecha and one other restaurant. Thanks for the recommendations!

@Joshua Hugh
That is because I have limited time and I want to reach the far ones with a local guide's help in hopes to make it easier. I will make sure to consider travel time and the sights' closing times, thanks!

@AK
Yes I did inform the guide about my mom's age. She did mention that the sights are doable within 8 hours or so. I will ask for her recommendations to see any alternatives!
by miara rigawa rate this post as useful

Re: Private Tour Guide and 3 day Itinerary advice 2015/3/30 20:18
My point is that there are many detours and you would be going to the same area on different days
Might as well cover the areas like ginkakuji, ryoanji and arashiyama on the same day as they are in the same direction and requires some walking

Also the higashiyama mountains has much mountains and and much walking in between sights. Eg kiyomizudera is an uphill walk

Zooming to place to place is only recommended if you are planning to taxi your way through
by JOSHUA hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread