Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko or Kamakura? 2015/3/31 07:56
Hello! I could finally book my trip to Japan next October and I am really looking forward to it. I will be arriving early in the morning in Osaka and spend one night there; then 4 nights in Kyoto (with side trips to Nara and Himeji castle) and finally 4 nights in Tokyo with my flight back to Europe late in the 5th night.
I think I am just a little tight in Tokyo and I think I will have time for only one daytrip. Should I go to Nikko or Kamakura? I am aware that Nikko is described by many as more beautiful than Kamakura but also that it is much farther from Tokyo. Moreover I read major reconstraction works are in progress in some of the main toutist sites there and I am afraid thay could ruin a visit there. Considering all that, what is therefore the best daytrip from Tokyo? Is a visit to Kamakura doable in half a day?
Thank you for your kind help.
by Stevegeneva  

Re: Nikko or Kamakura? 2015/3/31 13:38
Nikko is fantastic even with buildings covered for reconstruction. However if you have seen lots of temples in Kyoto then nIkko or Kamakura are more of the same. I would consider doing a day trip to Hakone and seeing Mt Fuji and the Open Air Art Museum.

If you go to Kamakura you would miss out if you did a half day, Hire a bicycle and ride around the various temples.
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread