Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Whether to buy JR Pass or not 2015/4/2 15:17
Hye, i will be traveling to japan soon BUT my biggest concern is whether i should buy the JR Pass or not.

I will be arriving at Haneda late at night on 14/6/2015 and my itinerary so far as follows:

15/6/2015 - Kawaguchiko(6.55am Airport Bus)
16/6/2015 - Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shinagawa and Tokyo Tower.
17/6/2015 - Kyoto
18/6/2015 - Osaka
19/6/2015 - Go back home from Kansai

So, i want to know which one is more worth it for me:

1) Should i buy the JR Pass.

or

2) Buy Tokunai Pass when in Tokyo and then buy the Shinkansen tiket for Tokyo-Kyoto -Osaka journey.

Is there any other benefit of JR Pass that i don't know?

Onegai shimasu!!! Thanks so much!!!!!
by Linda (guest)  

Re: Whether to buy JR Pass or not 2015/4/2 17:59
Since you are only going one way from Tokyo area to Kyoto/Osaka, the nationwide JR Pass (not even the 7-day version) does not ay off. You can buy a regular Shinkansen ticket for Tokyo to Kyoto. From Kyoto to Osaka, you can take a rapid train.

I am not sure about Tokunai Pass, but I know that those passes don't really pay off unless you use the trains intensively, which doesn't sound like it if it's just those four places in Tokyo...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Whether to buy JR Pass or not 2015/4/2 18:11
Thankssss so much for your reply.

The only reason i am considering to buy JR Pass in the 1st place is because of the convenience.

I'm afraid it would be too hard to buy ticket on the ticket counter since I'm not familiar with Japanese train station.

Is it hard to buy train ticket to go from one place to another in Tokyo?

For example from Harajuku to Shinagawa?

And is it always crowded? Since time is very valuable to me because i only have 1 day in tokyo.

Arigato gozaimasu!!!
by Linda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Whether to buy JR Pass or not 2015/4/2 18:15
JR Pass makes sense (or pays off) only if you make long-distance, meaning "between cities" travel on JR Shinkansen. For example, the price of a 7-Day JR Pass is about the same as a "return trip" between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka. So it will be a complete waste of money if you buy one only to cover "one way" travel. Local transport is really inexpensive, a few hundred yen.

It is not difficult to buy tickets - at JR stations, there are ticket vending machines, and there are signs in English. You just insert coins, and press the buttons for the amount.
If you are thinking of saving time in Tokyo, you could buy SUICA or PASMO prepaid card. This will give you the convenience, without waste of money.

For buying a Shinkansen train ticket, you can go to Midori no Madoguchi (ticketing counter) at a JR station.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Whether to buy JR Pass or not 2015/4/2 18:20
Thanks so much AK!!

You've solved my problem and money.

Problem solved and so...NO JR Pass for me.

Thanks...thanks...thanks a bunch.
by Linda (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread