Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka to Kyoto to Shirakawa-go to Takayama 2015/4/2 16:47
Hey all,

Me and my partner will be staying in a Japan for 2 weeks in May. We are spending the first week in Tokyo visiting the surrounding areas. Then i'm planning to go to Osaka/Kyoto and Shirakawago/Takayame (trying to make the most of the expensive JR pass!!).

The ideal plan is to spend 2 days Osaka with one day in Kyoto and the rest filled in with Shirakawago/Takayame (S/T for short) then head back to Tokyo for the remaining 2 days as our hotel package is there and leaving from Hanada airport.

Just wondering if that's a good itinerary? I think Osaka and Kyoto isn't a problem 2/3 days there should suffice, right? it's just the second part S/T that I am unsure of. I really want to experience Gassho-Zukuri in Shirakawago but read from forums that you can explore the majority of it in a few hours, so is it worth spending another 7000+ yen for that experience alone? whilst Takayame has just peaked my interest with its old style town and village. Can S/T be done in 2 days? or am I being over ambitious about my travelling plans?

Would it be more cost effective to book one of the package tour/deals: www.isitetakayama.com/en_2days1night.html

Rather than making our own way there and using public transport? If i did plan S/T by myself (accommodation + transport) would it have to be meticulous planned?

So many questions and sorry for the rambling. But bottom line is:

1. Is Osaka and Kyoto do-able in 2/3 days? or is it too long?

2. Is Shirakawa and Takayame a must go? or would the surrounding areas be just as good in terms of cost and time effectiveness.

Thank you in advance for any replies and advice. Have been so stressed planning this trip =(
by chungie  

Re: Osaka to Kyoto to Shirakawa-go to Takayama 2015/4/2 17:42
My personal opinion is that although Takayama/Shirakawago is well worth visiting, on this occasion your time is quite short. 2/3 days for Osaka/Kyoto is, in all honesty, NOT enough. I would forget Takayama area for this trip and use those two days to spend more time in Kyoto.

2 days for Osaka and 3 for Kyoto.

OR.. forget Osaka, since you're already spending time in Tokyo, and use those two days for the Takayama area instead.

The important thing is that there is so much to see in Kyoto that allocating just one day is simply not enough.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Kyoto to Shirakawa-go to Takayama 2015/4/2 18:52
If you are a super fast traveller with an excellent sense of direction and maybe have a foldable bicycle, you can do Kyoto in 2.5 days

If not 3 - 5 days. Or maybe up to a week for Kyoto. It is a small city just so much to do.

Osaka a day or two is sufficient
A night or two too may be sufficient

Takayama on the other half only requires half a day. Shirakawago the other half of the day.
Unless staying in farmhouses is your fancy, and you wanna stay in one overnight.
by kanazawa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Kyoto to Shirakawa-go to Takayama 2015/4/3 16:35
Thanks Saru and Kanazawa for your input. It's very much appreciated.

The reason why I'm spending a lot of days in Tokyo is because our hotel and flight package was booked together to save money for the 2 weeks stay in Japan. So i'm kind of forced to return to stay at our hotel in Tokyo to not waste the money already spent on it. Even though I do understand it means cutting time into other destinations but I am willing to sacrifice money spent at different hotels on transport to different places.

I am just trying to plan the time to spend outside of Tokyo, trying to maximize the expensive JR pass and not wanting to spending much or any extra money on top of my packaged hotel in Tokyo.

I have read that Kyoto is a must go area, and understand there is a lot to see (shrines/temples) but didn't know that it would take 3+ days to explore it all.

I can remold my Osaka/Kyoto/Shirakwa/Takayama trip but just trying to fit the days in with other places and minimize the cost is difficult.

But once again thanks for your help guys!

by chungie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread