Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My hotel in Tokyo / connection to Haneda 2015/4/3 18:55
Hello,
I would have a (hopefully) last question concerning my trip to Tokyo. My flight back to Europe leaves from Haneda at 11 pm. That would require me to move from my hotel to the airport around 7 pm, during the peak hours for public transportation. I have read that then it is not easy to use the trains and subway as they are packed and I guess it could be even more troublesome with a big suitcase. From this point of view, where would you find more sensible that I reserve my hotel? I planned to stay in Shinjuku but now I am wondering if choosing to pick a hotel in Ginza or even Hamamatsucho (close to the monorail station - at the MyStays for example) could be a better idea... I am deeply sorry if I sound a bit paranoid but advice on this issue would help me a lot. Thanks!
by Stevegeneva  

Re: My hotel in Tokyo / connection to Haneda 2015/4/4 08:47
That would require me to move from my hotel to the airport around 7 pm, during the peak hours for public transportation. I have read that then it is not easy to use the trains and subway as they are packed and I guess it could be even more troublesome with a big suitcase.

That is why I disagree with the common view that Haneda is more convenient than Narita. It lacks comfortable trains that go there!

Then again, evening rush hours tend to be less extreme than morning rush hours. Especially the monorail in direction of the airport is not overly crowded. I think you should manage even with a suitcase. Shinjuku and the monorail are connected by the Oedo Subway Line whose state during the PM rush hours I am not familiar with.

If you want to avoid trains altogether, you could consider taking a bus instead, but who knows how long they get stuck in traffic jams...

Another option is to go to the airport already around 5pm before the rush. It is quite a pleasant airport to spend some time at.

Moving to a hotel in Ginza will not change the situation.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: My hotel in Tokyo / connection to Haneda 2015/4/4 08:52
You don't need to leave for the airport by 7pm, around 8 would be fine with less crowds on the train. You also might consider taking your luggage to Haneda in the middle of the day and storing it in a locker.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My hotel in Tokyo / connection to Haneda 2015/4/4 19:31
Thank you for your replies!
Actually, I chose the flight for Haneda in order to have one full day more to spend in Tokyo. Perhaps I underestimated the problem of the rush hour. I think that I will consider more seriously the option of hotel MyStays at Hamamatsucho. It might by less centrally situated but at least it is just some minutes away from the monorail station...
by Stevegeneva rate this post as useful

Re: My hotel in Tokyo / connection to Haneda 2015/4/4 20:10
You could also make a quick hop to Haneda in the middle of the day to bring your suitcase, leave it with some luggage storage service and go on with your day.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: My hotel in Tokyo / connection to Haneda 2015/4/4 20:21
As firas has said, keep your luggage with some service, or you can consider keeping your luggage at the Hamamatsucho station (depending on the size of your luggage, you can consider keeping them in the station lockers), then go shopping, and return back to the station and collect your luggage and using the monorail to haneda.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread