Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/7 21:53
Hi,
I went to Kaimondake area last year but got there too late last time.

I probably will be in Osaka or Tokyo area next time visiting Japan but would like to try visiting Kaimondake for climbing it.

Which would be fastest and most convenient you think, either fly to Osaka/Tokyo and then fly directly to Kagoshima airport going to Kagoshima staying one night and heading early for Ibusuki.

Or taking Shinkansen to Kagoshima from Tokyo or Osaka instead of flying? Probably will have JR Pass for the visit as usual.
by Senmon (guest)  

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/8 09:33
From Tokyo, flying is without doubt the faster method. From Kagoshima, I would prefer the shinkansen because the airports are outside of the city centers and I consider rail travel much for comfortable than air travel.

As for cost, flying by low-cost carriers (Peach from Kansai Airport or Jetstar from Narita Airport) will likely be cheapest.

I personally would rent a car from Kagoshima. If you travel by public transportation, you will spend more time getting down the Satsuma Peninsula.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/8 19:22
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
Do you think it would be faster to go by car instead of train to Kaimon? As Kaimon is the most purpose of the trip this time I would only use the car for that purpose.

Looked at the Hyperdia, the earliest train arrives at Kaimon station at 6.34 (next is 12.07 though), about 1,5-2 hour ride from Kagoshima.

Last time I went directly from Fukuoka by Shikansen the same day. I read it is not good to go up after dark, so being early is of course a good idea I guess.

Also, it would mean I need to stay in Kagoshima the first night. So that's why I thought what would be best when I arrive in Japan (Osaka, Nagoya, Tokyo or perhaps Fukuoka airport from abroad) to go there directly by shinkansen or domestic flight.

After the Kaimon visit I have not planned yet. The only issue would be the lugguage, but maybe I should send it directly to my destination after Kaimon from the airport.
by Senmon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/8 21:33
Looked at the Hyperdia, the earliest train arrives at Kaimon station at 6.34 (next is 12.07 though), about 1,5-2 hour ride from Kagoshima.

Alternatively, you can go to Yamakawa

http://goo.gl/6MQ7PY

and then take a bus to Kaimon-Sanroku.

http://goo.gl/8ODJOO

If you take 6:21 train from Kagoshima-Chuo, you will arrive Yamakawa at 7:34. Then take 8:07 bus to Kaimon-Sanroku which is slightly closer to the trailhead to Kaimon-dake. The timetable and map for the bus are not so clear to me so I am not sure at which bus stop you should get off. Print out ŠJ•·Šx“oŽR and show it to the driver. He/she will tell you when the bus stops at the nearest bus stop. Take care and enjoy climbing!

By the way, the bus runs every 45 min both direction. When you get off you should note the timetable for your return trip. From Yamakawa to Kagoshima-chuo, train runs every 30-60 min.

http://goo.gl/kbImW9
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/9 02:00
Oh yes, forgot about the bus.

I remember the train to Kaimon station was not very frequent.

So the plan would be to go to Japan, go to Kagoshima (explore if time). Sleep. Go early to Kaimon and climb. Then back to Kagoshima and Shinkansen to Hakata.

That sound okay?

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/9 11:59
I agree with Uji's idea.

Whenever I come to Kagoshima by air, I rent a car then go to Ibusuki & Makurazaki.
Jetstar has service from Nagoya (Chubu International airport) to Kagoshima with low cost as well.

If you need to take Shinkansen after your visit Kaimondake, I would recommend ruturn the car to the office near Kagoshima Chuo station.

By the way, please try to visit Tosenkyo Somen Nagashi for lunch. The place is not too far by car from Kaimondake. Very popular for local people.

by gaku (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/10 23:32
Thank you for your reply,
How is driving in Japan compared to other countries?,

Atleast counting the roads in southern Kyushu. Looking at the road map the roads look more curvy from Kagoshima and south than from Fukuoka to Kagoshima.

What would renting a car cost by the way?

So. Going to Japan, flying to Nagoya, flying to Kagoshima, go to Kagoshima by rail or bus and check in at hotel, possibly get the rental car today or early next morning. Explore Kagoshima (again) if time and energy is good.

Or maybe rent the car at the airport (unless I need to return it to the airport afterwards).

Next day, go by car to Ibusuki area. Climbing Kaimon-dake.
Lunching at the onsen you recommended, more exploring and then back to Kagoshima
and possibly returning the car (or next morning).

Next day go to either Miyazaki or Fukuoka and beyond.

I am not sure what to do with the lugguage, if leave it at Kagoshima or send it to Fukuoka to avoid the need to carry it on the Shinkansen northward...

What about possibilities to park in Kagoshima (if I get the rental car the evening of arrival). I will probably stay in Toyoko Inn chain. As well as driving in cities, would it pose a big problem?

Thanks for your help so far!

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/11 07:53
Are you planning to take a flight from Nagoya to Kagoshima and after climbing Kaimondake take Shinkansen from Kagoshima? If so, there are not so many flight from Nagoya to Kagoshima, especially if you use Jetstar.

Rental car fare might depend on the specific date and of course depends on the time you rent. Some rental car company does not charge you for drop-off if you return the car to the office in the same prefecture, but they tend to be more expensive for the base fare.

I assumed you will come to Kagoshima to just climb Kaimondake. If you start from Kagoshima city it will take about 8-10 hours so I didn't think rental car is valid for you. If you do some sightseeing, then rental car might be useful. If you want to start early in the morning, you should rent a car the day before climbing since most rental car companies do not open 24 hrs. For example Toyota rent-car at Kagoshima-chuo station opens at 7:00.

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/11 10:28
Basics about renting a car in Japan:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/11 19:39
frog-san,
Did not know there were few flights. Any international airport would do. Finnair drops by Osaka-Kansai, Nagoya and Narita Airports. I know there are some flights from Haneda but it would mean going there from Narita, possibly with lugguage too.

The sole purpose of the visit is Kaimondake as I have been to the Satsuma-peninsula and Ibusuki before. As I got there rather late (train arrived at Kaimon about noon) no time for climbing.

If there are too few flights to Kagoshima I would suppose Shinkansen maybe better?

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/11 22:42
Hi Senmon,

The sole purpose of the visit is Kaimondake as I have been to the Satsuma-peninsula and Ibusuki before. As I got there rather late (train arrived at Kaimon about noon) no time for climbing.

Then when you come to Japan, your first destination is Kagoshima, more specifically Kaimondake right?

If there are too few flights to Kagoshima I would suppose Shinkansen maybe better?

I didn't know Finnair flies into Narita, Nagoya and Kansai. I checked their flight schedule and found that all three flights land Japan at around 9:00 in the morning. Then I checked what is the fastest way to go to Kagoshima. The fastest is via Nagoya by ANA, but ANA is not in the same airline alliance so the fare is somewhat expensive. Next is via Kansai, using Peach aviation which will arrive Kagoshima-chuo station at around 15:00. However if you take JR trains you will reach Kagoshima-chuo at around 16:00.

http://goo.gl/pDVqKs

If you can go through the custom quickly, you might be able to catch earlier trains.

http://goo.gl/hBRX9e

If you will do some other train trips (maybe Kagoshima to Fukuoka, then Hiroshima etc.) JR Pass might be better.

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/13 20:10
frog,
Thank you for your reply.

Finnair flies directly from Helsinki to Osaka, Tokyo and Nagoya. That's the most direct route from Sweden. Just 9 hours from Helsinki.

Anyway, the best of course would be flight if possible. Maybe I could use the "Japan Fly Pass" for the ANA or JAL flight from some of those airports to Kagoshima.

I find spending another 5-6 hours on Shinkansen to Kagoshima after a 9+ hour flight not really tempting, but at least it offers more room than an aircraft.

Usually when I arrive in Osaka I tend to be in central Osaka by around 11.

Maybe there are more flights from Kobe or Itami airport.

Re: Visiting Kaimondake 2015/4/16 12:04
It was fun to find the best way to come to Kagoshima, my home town, from abroad.

I did not know there is so called "Japan Fly Pass".
If you take Finair, you must choose JAL because both Finair & JAL are member of oneworld.
https://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/
Even though airfare to Kagoshima is still higher than that of LCC, there are more flights. When think about flight delays or weight of luggage, I would choose Finair + JAL.

If you come to Kansai airport, just take a bus to Itami airport.
http://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/timetable/kix/t_itm.html#fare
You may be able to catch afternoon flight to Kagoshima. It takes 70 minutes.
You can also take Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Kagoshima Chuo by "JR Pass", it takes 4 hours +.

It seems like you concern about whether or not it is safe to drive there.
In that case, you come to Kagoshima Chuo Station by bus.
You can see how road and people look like then decide. If you think you want to drive, you may visit travel information center at the station and ask them to arrange. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Orix, JR, many choices.
They charge you per hour. If you need to come to Kaimondake
early morning, must rent within the day you arrive due to their office open hours.
If you stay at Centaral Kagoshima, perhaps you need to pay for parking. If you stay at Ibusuki, most likely parking is included.

Hope you find suitable way and enjoy staying there!

by gaku (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread