Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling Arashiyama area with bicycle 2015/4/8 02:27
I am planning to travel Kyoto in early June and Arashiyama area is part of my itinerary. The day I visit Arashiyama will be Sunday. I am accompanying parents and younger sister (4 members in total).
To fit in our traveling schedule, we have to finish touring Arashiyama area in 3-4 hours. So I was thinking bicycle would be the great way to look around the area. So far I have planned the route as follows:

1. Leave from Kyoto station around 8AM to Sagaarashiyama station (duration 16 min)
2. Rent bicycles near Sagaarashiyama station (approx. 800 yen per person)
3. Bamboo Groves
4. Rakushisha Residence area (will not enter inside)
5. Gio-ji Temple
6. Lunch near lake area (bento)
7. Togetsukyo Bridge
8. Return bicycles

We kept Rakushisha Residence area because we love the rustic scenery of the sight.
And as you see, we kept Bamboo Groves at the very beginning because we were scared that we might get crashed by the crowds later hours. I understand on Sunday the place will be thronged with people so I wanted to leave much earlier from Kyoto. But the problem was that most of the bicycle renting shop I searched from online opened by 8:30 or 9AM.
I am not so sure about the visit to Gio-ji temple because we have only few hours to see whole area and I cannot guess how long would it take to look inside the temple. But I read about the moss covered garden here and was so intrigued to go and see.
So here are my questions:

1. Are there any bicycle renting shops near Arashiyama station open before 8AM?
2. From where do I enter bamboo forest with bicycle? I could only find the way through Tenryu-ji temple. Aren't there any other way straight to the bamboo forest?
3. How long will it take to finish above route? Will 3-4 hours be enough?
4. How much crowds would be there in Arashiyama if I visit around 8:30AM? Is it not early enough?
5. How long does it take to look around Gio-ji temple? Is it worth a visit?

I need your help!
by sleeplessletters  

Re: Traveling Arashiyama area with bicycle 2015/4/8 23:04
Arashiyama is a small area.
Roads are narrow and winding and always crowded with tourists.
Walking is much better than cycling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8lcqnMTfWA

by Takeo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling Arashiyama area with bicycle 2015/4/9 01:22
Arghh it seemed so great to cycle there. Alright, tossing that plan away.
Thank you!
by sleeplessletters rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling Arashiyama area with bicycle 2015/4/9 09:41
If you are early enough, you can do the cycling. But once the crowds starts it wont be easy. As for how long ir would take to do all you wrote, I would say less than an hour on foot. Lesser on bicycle.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling Arashiyama area with bicycle 2015/4/9 10:45
A bicycle is not convenient in the central area around the bridge, the station and the bamboo grove; but for reaching the more distant attractions, such as Daikakuji and the Nenbutsuji temples, it is a great means of getting around. These areas are also much less crowded. Not sure what you mean with "lake area". Daikakuji? For getting to Gioji and Daikakuji, a biscycle can reduce the time to get there, but if you are a good walker, you won't have any problems doing it on foot, either.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling Arashiyama area with bicycle 2015/4/9 11:42
Sorry, not the lake. I should rather call it riverside: the way to Togetsukyo bridge along the Katsura river. We thought of having some snacks or lunch around here. Speaking of lunch, where would be the nicest place to picnic near this area?

Re: Traveling Arashiyama area with bicycle 2015/4/11 13:50
Yes, the Nenbutsuji temples are more off the beaten track and not so many tourists. You should not miss the Otagi Nenbutsuji anyways, it is one of the most whimsical and unusual places you will see in Kyoto. Many places at the end of the day might turn into a blur, but Otagi is one place you won't easily forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efvtB_5jmjA
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling Arashiyama area with bicycle 2015/4/12 03:35
YESSSS I put added it in my must-see list too. It's one of the top places that I'm most excited to visitttttt :D

reply to this thread