Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

5 Week Itinerary - after 1 suggestion 2015/4/9 19:12
Hi All,

Over the past few months, I've been putting together my summer vacation to Japan. I've travelled around Japan more than most and as such I'll be travelling to some slight left of field places.

I'll state my general itinerary below but I'm after 1 suggestion which will be listed at the bottom of my itinerary.

Yokohama (4 nights - visiting people)
Tsuruoka (3 nights - Dewa Sanzan)
Kusatsu Onsen (2 nights)
Manza Onsen (1 night)
Iiyama (3 nights)
Itoigawa (2 nights)
Unazaki Onsen - Kurobe (1 night)
Wajima - Noto Peninsula (2 nights)
Wakura Onsen - Noto Peninsula (1 night)
Kaga Onsen (1 night)
Kinosaki Onsen (2 nights)
Tottori (2 nights)
Wakayama (2 nights)
Kii-Katsuura - Hotel Urashima (1 night)
Shingu (2 nights)
Hongu (1 night)
*** Dogoshima (2 nights)
Narita (1 night)

My main problem is that I originally wanted to visit Dogoshima on the Izu Peninsula, but it's a bit too much travel for one day from Hongu (Bus to Shingu, train to Nagoya, Shinkansen to Mishima, train to Shuzenji and another bus to Dogoshima).

Apart from 1 night in Nagoya and 1 night in Dogoshima, does anyone have any nice suggestions on where to stay for 2 nights between Hongu and Narita.

Places which can be missed as I've already visited include: Ise, Nagoya, Shizuoka, Mishima, Atami, most places in Izu apart from Dogoshima.

I know this is a bit of a limited help question - but I've kind of run out of possible places I can think of to visit....
by mfedley  

Re: 5 Week Itinerary - after 1 suggestion 2015/4/10 00:54
Have you considered Gifu City? I don't know the dates you're travelling but in the summer there is ukai (cormorant fishing) and two huge fireworks festivals on the last Saturday of July and the first Saturday of August respectively.

by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Week Itinerary - after 1 suggestion 2015/4/10 01:42
Unfortunately this is also a place I've already been too...

The cormorant fishing was something which I quite enjoyed....

http://japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1613
http://japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1614
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Week Itinerary - after 1 suggestion 2015/4/10 02:44
If you don't really need to stay 2 nights in Shingu, how about 1 night in Toba? Mikimoto Pearl Island and the Aquarium are good to see. It's only 45 mins. from Hongu and there is an express from Toba to Nagoya.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Week Itinerary - after 1 suggestion 2015/4/10 09:56
Not answering the question. Just like to appreciate the amount of onsens.

Just to point out Wakayama (as in the castle and all) is pretty far from Katsura. Added on that Hotel Urashima requires a boat to get to (it is connected to the mainland but the forested mountain prevents other forms of transport), you might not get to enjoy the full glory of all 7 onsens. Especially the cave bath that looks out to sea. There won't be anything to see in the dark. And if you think you could just do it in the morning, I would instead recommend taking a hike to the cliff at the edge of the mountain for sunset views. The cave looks Eastward but not that Eastward to get the desired sun view.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Week Itinerary - after 1 suggestion 2015/4/10 13:26
Thanks for the info Joshua. I'm planning on coming directly from Wakayama and hopefully getting to the hotel by 3PM to spend as much time there as possible.

I'm aware that I'm staying in a lot of onsen towns, but I normally go there only if there is also something to do (apart from Manza onsen which is only for the onsen).

I'm spending 2 nights at Shingu as I'll be visiting 2 of the shrines from there.

On staying at Toba - I'll consider it. Do you think there is enough to do there for 2 days?

Toba 2015/4/10 21:20
Looking at the Jikokuhyo if you take the express from SHINGU at 0913 you change at TAKI and get to TOBA at 1212. A MIE express leaves TOBA at 1736 and gets to NAGOYA at 1930.

Re: 5 Week Itinerary - after 1 suggestion 2015/4/19 21:44
Just confirming that I ended up changing the last 2 nights to Toba as suggested. A bus and train ride in one day is much more comfortable than going from Hongu to Dogoshima.

I've booked what looks like a nice place with a reasonable view (slightly traditional) but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

At present, I'm looking at visiting the Pearl Island and possibly Spain Mura for it's Kitsch value....

Which place inToba? 2015/4/20 02:10
I stayed at this rather modern ryokan very near Toba station with a great view of Toba Bay and just 5 or 6 minute walk to Pearl Island and the Aquarium.
SUZUNAMI BEKKAN (KIMPOKAN) 011-815-9925-2001

Toba 2015/4/20 02:13
Toba Bay from my window, early A.M.
http://dickh.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v180/p178588798-4.jpg

reply to this thread