Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Imperial Palace visit 2015/4/15 21:44
I'm gonna visit Kyoto from 12th till 16th of May. One of the destinations is to visit Imperial Palace. First I was trying to apply through the web-site to make reservation. Unfortunately these dates are completely busy. But in the travel-guide they say I can still get a ticket early in the morning there. Could you please clearify this situation with the tickets to Kyoto Imperial Palace? And the second question... If I couln't get into the palace itself, can I enter the park area to walk around? Thank you in advance.
by alexorbit  

Re: Kyoto Imperial Palace visit 2015/4/16 09:50
1st question, there are limited online slots. But if you go there you can book manually. There are spaces for reserved for non-online reserverations. Just imagine... using Agoda to book a hotel online or walking in into a hotel and booking
2nd question, no you cannot.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Imperial Palace visit 2015/4/16 10:01
If I couln't get into the palace itself, can I enter the park area to walk around?

That depends on what you mean by "park area". If you're referring to the gardens and other outdoor areas within the innermost walls of the palace, you can't.

On the other hand, if you're referring to the sprawling public park that completely surrounds the main palace compound, then yes - you can come and go as you please without having to sign up for a tour. That's the part shown in the pictures below:

https://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/field-report-k...

Pictures of the inner compound - the part only accessible via the official guided tours - are available on the following page, more specifically on pages 2-4 of that post (the first few pictures on page 1 are of the public park that you can visit freely):

https://animeaffairs.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/japan-2009-highlights-ky...

It's important to manage expectations, though. Even if you're on the official tour, you won't be allowed to enter the palace buildings themselves - you can only look at them from the outside. Not that there's much to see, to be honest: in terms of architectural and artistic merit, I'd venture to say that even Nijō Castle outranks the Imperial Palace.

Having said that, I personally thought the tour was worth it, so by all means try to apply for a slot if you can spare the time.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Imperial Palace visit 2015/4/16 11:06

Kyoto from 12th till 16th of May. One of the destinations is to visit Imperial Palace.

The Kyoto Imperial Palace (京都御所, Kyōto Gosho) as well as Sento Imperial Palace (仙洞御所, Sentō Gosho) are both located in the Kyoto Imperial Park (京都御苑, Kyōto Gyoen). Both palace gardens are guided tours and reservation only. However, the Kyoto Imperial Park (京都御苑, Kyōto Gyoen) is public park and free to roam.
The early bird catches the worm. Try to arrive at the Imperial agency office early ( Open 08:45) . Apply for both of the Palace garden tours. Very good chance you would be able to get tickets for Kyoto Imperial Palace tour for the day; do not be surprised you would get tickets for both, could be different day for the Sento Imperial Palace.
I was there last November, and got tickets for all the gardens ( 京都御所, Kyōto Gosho , 仙洞御所, Sentō Gosho,修学院離宮, Shugakuin Rikyū and 桂離宮, Katsura Rikyū )
I like the Sentō Gosho,修学院離宮 best.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread